Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is. You have to Flash the APIM with the newest code. In my opinion, not worth the risk for the small gain. The APIM is not cheap.

Rob, you have the newer APIM code, because you are on a 2021, so the software update should have given you everything. You should also have calm screen also. If you don't wondering if you got an early 21 with an older APIM code. If you have FORSCAN, and can give me the details on the APIM we can confirm.
Yes, I very well may have an early 21. It was purchased last March (about a year ago). I do not have Forscan.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I felt like I should chime in a little bit here, just so folks know a little bit about an experience I recently had. Loki was, as always, a big help in describing some things to me during this issue but I think it's important folks understand the unfortunate side of these fun and easy modifications.

So about 3 weeks ago tomorrow, I took my rig in to get the rear glass and rear wiper motor replaced, along with tightening a taillight housing. I realized after picking up the vehicle, that my USB media hub was dead. nothing I plugged into it was powered, nor would a thumb drive with music work. All of the cables (including one USB-C cable that came with my phone and is in perfect condition), as well as multiple thumb drives work in other devices. So I checked the port for 5V and bam, nothing.

As part of my troubleshooting, I did a lot of the following (much of this was based on posts on the F150 and raptor forums):
- Started by pulling out my media hub, double checking the USB connection, was fine
- Replaced the USBC media hub with the original USBA only hub, no change
- Checked all fuses (which I found interested because there are 5 fuses labeled USB, but only 1-3 and 5 actually exist, where's 4?), all fuses fine
- Pulled the negative cable for about an hour, for a full discharge - no change
- Did multiple soft resets of Sync - no change
- Did a master reset - no change (the theory behind this is on the F150/raptor forums, multiple folks talk about the APIM disabling the USB ports on the media hub if it detects a short, and the master reset is supposed to fix it) - no change
- Pulled apart the media/instrument console, double checking where the USB cable plugs into the APIM, all good - no change

So I finally gave up, called the dealer and scheduled another service. Told them everything I've done (except that I removed the APIM for obvious reasons).

So they started troubleshooting, and after about two hours they came in and said "what kind of software do you have on there?". Said I had no idea. But essentially, there were two issues. 1) Forscan was used for simple things like changing the splash screen, 2) cyanlabs was used to update Sync3 and therefore the truck hadn't completed an "automatic update" in well over a year. They explained they would have to force an update in order for Ford to agree to do anything with the APIM. they of course said they would charge me $200 if that fixed the issue. I said go for it. They came back about 35 minutes later with a printout from FDRS saying the APIM was locked out because of the changes and there was no way for them to force an update. Essentially saying at that point there was nothing they could do until it was put back to stock.

Now I will admit, at this point a crappy dealer/service dept. could have just marked the vehicle altered and refused any help. Instead, their service manager pulled me aside and pulled up the forscan site, to show me how to remove the settings. He of course wouldn't/couldn't do it for me (even though he said he had the stuff to do it in his Ford), but showed me what to do (yes, I already knew this part). So away I went, put everything back to as built, and scheduled another visit. This time, about two hours later they came back and said they finally had the proof they needed to get the APIM replaced. Essentially after the forced update (which wasn't an update because the tool showed it was already at the latest version, but it updates Ford's DB's with my version), it failed the guided setup routine.

So the moral of the story, is I think I would have been fine with the Cyan updates for the most part, but the combination of forscan APIM settings and Sync3 updates, really messed things up. My attitude with them was also pretty chill, didn't want to make things worse. But just know, if you are experiencing anything wrong with Sync, always revert any APIM settings prior to getting service. And just remember, apparently Ford really is tracking your version of Sync! I also find it really annoying that they are "required" to verify software versions etc, to troubleshoot a USB port. If there isn't any voltage across the wire, then the APIM USB port isn't functioning. Especially when it was fine prior to service, to me I equate this to the OSI model in Networking, Layer 1 was dead.

thanks again Loki for your help through this as well. and my post is in no way to start an argument about what they could or should have done, just merely to tell what happened for others sake. All in all, the APIM was delivered today and I'm headed in Monday to get it replaced. Hope all works, and what a pain in the but for something as stupid simple as a USB port. I personally am very surprised that there isn't a way to wipe the APIM and put the as built data back on it regardless of what's on it, my guess is there is but who knows, maybe that would require them to tell Ford the mothership what they had done. I deal with software all day everyday, and there's almost always a way to start over.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@5280tunage I was hoping you would come and tell your story! Thanks!

I really wish I could have been there to see what the FRDS was telling them. Something was hanging it up. You have a good dealer for sure, and should definitely stick with them!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I really wish I could have been there to see what the FRDS was telling them. Something was hanging it up. You have a good dealer for sure, and should definitely stick with them!
these probably won't help, but this is what they gave me.

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_024547619.jpg
    PXL_20220324_024547619.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220324_024542106.jpg
    PXL_20220324_024542106.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 29

ktothek242

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thinking about doing this to my 2018 Edge running Sync 3.0 Build 2420 (or something of that like) but hesitant to take the leap. Couple of questions I have and apologies if they've been addressed earlier.

1. Any impact on CarPlay? Read some posts that Android Auto has acted up for some users, but haven't read much regarding CarPlay.
2. Any issues with climate controls not fully working?
3. Possible to downgrade to the factory default if I decide to do so later?
4. For SirusXM icons, I'm reading about having to use Forscan to add those icons. Or am I mistaken?
5. Anyone else have issues with the USB ports acting up?
6. Any issues with Bluetooth connectivity? In terms of dropping connectivity, playing music, or even with phone calls?
7. For future Sync updates (not that I'm assuming there will be much with Sync 4 coming out), I'm assuming I'll have to use Cyan Labs Sync version instead of Ford's Sync version?

Thanks.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score

As my favorite hip hop group once said, The Saga Continues.

So today, went again for them to swap the pre-serialized APIM. The swap went okay but still no USB media hub. They are now ordering and swapping out the USB cable that goes from the APIM to the media hub. I just have a hard time believing there isn't a tool from Ford that can test these items better. i.e. a tool that you can plug into the APIM side of the USB cable and test connectivity to usb dongle (I used many devices that do just this in the world of networking, you know to test for CatXe wiring, length, etc). Likewise, the other end of this tool should be able to test the media hub, etc.

I'm trying to remain patient, as this crew is doing what they can and what Ford tells them to do. But sheesh, now my Sync is back to 3.0, old maps, etc. You'd think the APIM would have at least been updated at the shop that programmed it with the VIN. And man I hate that these things won't do over the air updates when on WiFi. And then, it brought back terrible memories of how the older versions of Sync didn't even give you stuff like the MAC address, bluetooth is all sorts of sketchy now, etc.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As my favorite hip hop group once said, The Saga Continues.

So today, went again for them to swap the pre-serialized APIM. The swap went okay but still no USB media hub. They are now ordering and swapping out the USB cable that goes from the APIM to the media hub. I just have a hard time believing there isn't a tool from Ford that can test these items better. i.e. a tool that you can plug into the APIM side of the USB cable and test connectivity to usb dongle (I used many devices that do just this in the world of networking, you know to test for CatXe wiring, length, etc). Likewise, the other end of this tool should be able to test the media hub, etc.

I'm trying to remain patient, as this crew is doing what they can and what Ford tells them to do. But sheesh, now my Sync is back to 3.0, old maps, etc. You'd think the APIM would have at least been updated at the shop that programmed it with the VIN. And man I hate that these things won't do over the air updates when on WiFi. And then, it brought back terrible memories of how the older versions of Sync didn't even give you stuff like the MAC address, bluetooth is all sorts of sketchy now, etc.
Sadly for your 2019 3.0 is the most current officially supported version. 2020's are technically the first year that officially supported 3.4. That being said, you and I both know it will run the newer. Heck I had 3.4 running on our 2017 Expedition, and my 2016 Edge.

I completely get you on the testing. I am sure there is a way to test it old school, but if FRDS or Ford don't tell them to do it, they won't. So they throw parts at it.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sadly for your 2019 3.0 is the most current officially supported version. 2020's are technically the first year that officially supported 3.4. That being said, you and I both know it will run the newer. Heck I had 3.4 running on our 2017 Expedition, and my 2016 Edge.

I completely get you on the testing. I am sure there is a way to test it old school, but if FRDS or Ford don't tell them to do it, they won't. So they throw parts at it.
that's ridiculous. Sorry, but in a world where software updates do two major things, secure products and improve user experiences (or so we hope), that's insane. I would argue, why even have an online update feature if you're not planning on using it.

This then 3.0 is slow, choppy, and so far pretty horrible with stuff like Bluetooth. Not to mention the 10yr old looking navigation. Welp, once my USB is actually working, I know what I'll be doing for 3 hours someday.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I have actually read through this entire thread (to be sure someone hasn’t posted it this question before). Great discussion thus far. A lot of knowledgeable folks.

My question specifically:
Can anyone confirm if SYNC 3.4 supports Sirius XM upper channels ie 301, 311. I’ve confirmed with an owner that 2021 Expeditions do have these natively in 3.4 and tune them in directly on the head unit.

I’m still on the fence of updating and my 19 platinum (sync 3.0) cannot tune these in. I can internet stream these via my phone but that’s cumbersome.
So my SXM subscription will allow it, but it either appears to be a software or hardware limitation. The fact that the 21 Expeditions have these, is giving me some hope.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I think it's hardware. Highest channel seems to be 184 on my Sync 3.4 2017 Expedition. That's assuming I've figured out how to use the channel selector -- I typically keep it on "oldies" by decade.

No reason, however, to Not go to 3.4 that I can see. Maps remain behind my Garmin updates but most everything else seems to be better every update. 3.0 is probably 2016 or 2017 at best, 5 years ago.

I used the Cyan Labs for at least two updates. Just follow the instructions 3.0 to 3.4 may take a long time to load and configure. Keep in mind that all saved navigation data gets flushed in including "Home" but that's minor for me as I don't catalog a hundred former destinations.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360