Updated cam phasers - hope these really fix this problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, here’s a pretty good video showing the latest cam phasers for the 2018 and up Expeditions. These were just installed in my truck about 1000 miles ago and will be the third set but first time with the new style. I did hear a tapping noise on start up after they were installed that was much different right after the installation which sounded more like a lifter or chain slap. By the time I could get it to the dealer, it went away! I did show them a video I took when it did do it and they weren’t sure and said they never heard a noise like that and tried to duplicate it but couldn’t. Hopefully this style of phasers fix this for good.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford did minor fixes to each rev and never fixed it. The latest fix looks so far to address the issue. From what I understand the issue was hard to detect but seems to be related to oil and how it flows preventing the pin from fully locking. Maybe this was why it took so long to fix. The good thing is its pretty major redesign compared to the previous ones.

OP
OP
B

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford did minor fixes to each rev and never fixed it. The latest fix looks so far to address the issue. From what I understand the issue was hard to detect but seems to be related to oil and how it flows preventing the pin from fully locking. Maybe this was why it took so long to fix. The good thing is its pretty major redesign compared to the previous ones.
I agree, the locking pin looks more robust and re designed so I'm hoping this fixes it. As for all the metal that went into the engine from the old ones - well time will tell.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, the locking pin looks more robust and re designed so I'm hoping this fixes it. As for all the metal that went into the engine from the old ones - well time will tell.
Please keep us updated on the longevity of the new parts.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked my repair invoice from December 2021 and they used the updated phasers for mine as well. The pn’s listed on my invoice were ML3Z-6256-A and ML3Z-6C525-A.

Edit: I haven’t had any issues yet, but that was at 27k and now I only have 32k.

Last edited:

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my baby is going into surgery this Tuesday after waiting 3 months for parts, it's crazy.

said it'll take 2 day and i will have to pay for a rental and Ford will reimburse me :confused:

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got an appt scheduled for Nov 9 to have my CP replaced. Soonest they could get me in & provide a loaner.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got an appt scheduled for Nov 9 to have my CP replaced. Soonest they could get me in & provide a loaner.
Where is this? I took my 2018 in with symptoms tuesday of this week , and they diagnosed and repaired it and had it done friday morning.... 3 days from begining to end, including an expedition as a free loaner. But my dealership also said they ordered a large amount of phaser parts in anticipation of having to deal with a large number of repairs, so they had everything in stock.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped mine off yesterday. Showed the service advisor my video of turning it on. He said that he's embarrassed at how familiar he is with that noise, but their guy can almost do this job in his sleep. Said it'd be a few days till they got to it and he'd call me and let me know, said they usually keep a couple kits in stock they do so many. We'll see what they say. I didn't even think to ask for a loaner though, we have another car and the wife doesn't drive.