Updating my sloppy suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced all of my stock shocks with 4600's about 18 months ago. It took me the better part of a weekend and I needed to rent 2 sets of spring compressors. I also needed to upgrade my (weak) impact gun with a better unit and a set of larger sockets, which took a few hours of driving around to do, and some folks won't need to do that, obviously. When I then took it in to get re-aligned, they told me that the tie rod ends were worn. I replaced those and it passed alignment. A few months ago I noticed that the steering wheel angle was off so I took it in for an alignment again (I purchased the lifetime alignment originally). They told me that the upper and lower control arms/ball joints were shot. I purchased a whole new set of UCAs, LCAs, sway bar bushings, and camber bolts. I haven't done this job yet, but this past weekend I noticed that the rear passenger tire was loose, but the suspension seemed tight, so I figured a hub was shot. I replaced both rear hubs yesterday and my steering wheel angle problem was fixed.

If I had to do this all over again, I'd replace the UCAs when I was doing the front shocks, since the strut assembly has to be off to get at the UCA bolts, and the UCAs are a common wear component. I'd also do the inner and outer tie rods, since these are super easy if you have the front suspension already apart (and cheap). The LCAs seem to be robust, but the bushings tend to rust to the camber bolts, preventing a camber adjustment when aligned.

EngineerMike

Reaction score
My '99 did a weird flop-over thing where part way thru a turn the body roll angle would shift suddenly & lean farther out from the turn which changed the steering response. It was unnerving. At 160k the rear bags were shot. I replaced with cool springs & Monroe shocks rear (IIRC it was an AirLift brand pkg), & Monroe coil over feels with new coils installed as a unit. Discover chef the air pump. Rides excellent now.

flyguy

Reaction score
Our 2015 Expedition had a such terrible suspension that going over a speed bump sent me to the chiropractor! After some research, I chose to replace the shocks with Bilstein B8 5100s from Shock Surplus. I investigated replacing them myself, but after looking at what was required I took the car to a shop. The total cost was around $1,600, but the improvement was well worth it. Bilstein does not sell complete strut assemblies, so you must have a way of compressing the spring for a DIY project.