Updating your sway bar, is it needed if you have HD tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have factory HD tow-package is an upgraded sway-bar any better? Looking at the Hellwig option:

Rear Sway Bar Ford 07-18 Expedition/Navigator 2WD/4WD
Part Number: 7688

Does anyone know if it's any batter than whats on my 2010 EB w/ HD package?

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you seeking responses from people who have installed these and have personal experience with the specific product?

My guess is that this part is indeed an improvement on the factory part. Hellwig's part description states "Hellwig sway bars feature larger than stock diameters and precision engineered components to optimize handling and reduce body roll."

I have not used this specific product, nor have I upgraded my factory sway bar on the '17 Expy BUT, it is definitely thicker than my stock part (photo attached) AND I can speak from experience in having upgraded several sway bars on multiple personal vehicles over the years where they all exhibited significant improved handling.

With that said, I do know there will be several variables to take into account which are going to be unique to your application: how much weight are you pulling? How much tongue/hitch weight? What percentage of the factory max towing capacity are you using? How many axles does your trailer have? What type of hitch setup are you using? Are you using sway control?

Answering these questions will help in your decision making process, but hopefully others will chime in who have experienced with the Hellwig upgrade.

I'm also curious to follow your research on this topic. I've been on the fence with this bolt-on for a couple months now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess what I'm trying to find out is if the HD tow package included a beefed up rear sway bar? Or if anyone has upgraded their sway bar on a EB Expy if they experienced any obvious improvement?

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess what I'm trying to find out is if the HD tow package included a beefed up rear sway bar? Or if anyone has upgraded their sway bar on a EB Expy if they experienced any obvious improvement?
I have the HD tow package and my sway bar is the same part number as the same year vehicle without the HD package. I couldn't find a separate part on the Ford site to indicate there was an alternative.
3bf69b60231442efe7f2a6645f1a57b4.jpg

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tow packages are just for the trailer wiring, brake actuator, and cooling. Sway bars are not part of it. I was always fine with the stock sway bars but I don't do the Pikes Peak race or anything close to it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 2007 5.4 Triton the HD tow package included A.) Heavy Duty Radiator B.) 7-Row Auxiliary Trans Cooler C.) Seven pin connector with trailer brake controller hookup D.) 3.73 9.75” Axle. No mention of any sway bar.

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Replaced front and rear sway sway bars in my wife’s 2017 EL Limited with Hellwig’s sway bars. Made a huge difference in cornering stability. No doubt it will also improve towing stability as well. Also replaced the stock 4-ply junk tires with some 8-ply BFGoodrich all-terrain tires as well. Travel trailer comes out later this month and will be able to test the trailering improvement.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They a
Replaced front and rear sway sway bars in my wife’s 2017 EL Limited with Hellwig’s sway bars. Made a huge difference in cornering stability. No doubt it will also improve towing stability as well. Also replaced the stock 4-ply junk tires with some 8-ply BFGoodrich all-terrain tires as well. Travel trailer comes out later this month and will be able to test the trailering improvement.
They are both actually 2 ply but the Goodrich will be stiffer.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered a rear Hellwig, but it's on back order. Wondering if I should be replacing the front as well?