Upgrade Complete_New Photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donl

Reaction score
A while back I posted my plan to "restore/upgrade" my '03 4.6L Expy in lieu of replacing it after only 154K miles. The plan included 4.10 gears, shorty headers, CAI, underdrive pulleys, electric fans and 5 Star tune to pull it all together. Had some issues along the way with header fitment and the electric fan install which were all over come; issues and solutions were posted in previous threads. The plan also included some cosmetic changes, more of the "restore" nature which included new 22" Foose wheels, 285/45 Michelins, all dents, dings and scratches removed, new paint, new steering wheel and recovering the front driver and passenger seats. The vehicle had already been lowered with an Eibach springs, sway bars and Bilstein shocks. The OEM radio has been replaced with the latest Sony unit and better speakers with hands free coms, navigation and Android Auto and Car Play for voice activated operation; review camera is going to be installed next week.

The original painting of the plastic door and bumper moldings was supposed to be gray but had more blue than I wanted so I had them repainted matt black; much better. Check it out. One picture with the Liquid Metal 20" Wingman wheels just before installing the Foose 22"ers and one with the 22" Foose wheels, both with the "grey" moldings. The other two are after the molding repaint.

Thanks to the members that assisted in answering questions and making suggestions as I worked through the project. All in all, very good decision. I have always loved this old bucket and with the changes, the attraction is still there. Very good outcome.

expy black.2.jpg

expy black.3.jpg

right side grey.jpg

Wingman wheels.1.jpg

Last edited:

Cooper

Reaction score
Very motivating bro! Where are those rocker panel close ups lol

Cooper

Reaction score
The driver/pass rockers a usually rushed out. just funning around.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Adieu said:
Shiny, how much did the paint job cost?

$5300. The "paint" job included the R/R of every piece that could be removed from the vehicle, i.e., head lights, tall lights, grill, door side panels, roof rack, etc. to minimize taping. Also included some body work to remove all dents, dings and scratches. Once that was done, all surfaces were wet sanded followed by three base coats of the original black, painting the side panels and bumpers which were a faded gray (had to paint them twice as th photos show), four clear coats finished with another wet sand and buff. Took 6 weeks start to finish.