Upgrade from Sync 3 to newer system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
Is there a reasonable option for upgrading my Gen 3 with Sync 3 to a later navigation system? Preferably a simple plug an play install.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you mean the latest navigation maps for sync, or a new system entirely? The Phoenix unites have come up in the past.

OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
New system entirely. I particularly don’t like maps updates only happening once a year.

Also, I tried updating the version of Sync 3 I have by wifi and it wouldn’t do it even though there was a good WiFi connection.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ed, I assume you have a 2016/2017? CyanLabs.net and the Sync3 Updater is your friend. Other than the Phoenix systems, there really aren't any other options, because of the integration with the HVAC and other functions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
Ed, I assume you have a 2016/2017? CyanLabs.com and the Sync3 Updater is your friend. Other than the Phoenix systems, there really aren't any other options, because of the integration with the HVAC and other functions.
I’ve tried loading cyanlabs.com for days on multiple computers and it won’t load.

craig2436

Reaction score
Ed,

I upgraded my 2013 Taurus and 2015 Exp EL to Sync 3. Easy to do and detailed instructions on youtube - about 30 minutes total (Tbe Taurus was more difficult...). Here's the link to what I purchased from Amazon but I see this particular link is no longer available. Looks like there are other providers of the same product on Amazon though.

Here's an install video

-- Craig

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ed,

I upgraded my 2013 Taurus and 2015 Exp EL to Sync 3. Easy to do and detailed instructions on youtube - about 30 minutes total (Tbe Taurus was more difficult...). Here's the link to what I purchased from Amazon but I see this particular link is no longer available. Looks like there are other providers of the same product on Amazon though.

Here's an install video

-- Craig
I am pretty sure he has a 2016/2017, so already has Sync 3, just trying to get it updated.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve tried loading cyanlabs.com for days on multiple computers and it won’t load.
My fault! Cyanlabs.net. I go there so often, I have a favorite. I changed my original reply, so if it gets searched, it will have the right address. You are looking for the Sync 3 Updater.

ppurdom

Reaction score
I am pretty sure he has a 2016/2017, so already has Sync 3, just trying to get it updated.
I have a 2017 EL XLT and it seems to have a SYNC 1, with a bad APIM. Am I wrong about it being SYNC 1...it has 4" screen in black, blue and white screen. Bought Used from AutoNation with 53K miles, so I assume it was a bare-bone basic features rental.
Thanks, Paul