Upgrade Sync with My Ford Touch to Sync3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fort C

Reaction score
My wife recently bought a 2017 Platinum Explorer with Sync3. My 2015 Expedition only has Sync with My Ford Touch. The Sync3 seems like a much more cool and functional platform. Particularly when interfacing with my iPhone. I found, when looking on the web, there are upgrade kits @ $1500-$2500. It seems like it should be more easily upgradeable. Has anyone made this upgrade? Any input is welcomed.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not. The system is entirely different, hardware and software.

I don't blame you, either. This was the entire reason I held off on the 2016 Explorer.

wrc7732

Reaction score
I read on here a while back that sometimes you can find them used for less, like $500-600 or so. Not sure how you configure it at that point as it has to be VIN programmed. Lame.

It is a new screen (as it’s a better touch interface) and a whole new control module, and to make matters worse if you have Navi, and want to retain it, it’s another few hundred bucks for that as the My Ford Touch Navi box is not compatible with Sync 3. Grrr!!!

I decided it wasn’t worth it on my ‘15. I’m going to save my pennies and just buy a new model Expy or Navigator in a year or so once someone else has taken the initial hit on it. [emoji6]

Let us know what you decide. If you do it I’d love to know if you think it’s worth the $’s. I myself am less than impressed with the My Ford Touch system, but it’s not the worst I’ve had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan E Joyner

Reaction score
Funny, it seems to me if you buy the latest and greatest in a few years it's old and there is some newer technology, just like our phones. I opted to keep my technology on my phone. Keep us informed on your progress.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I love CarPlay. It should remain usable for the foreseeable future (~5-10 years) and it keeps my maps and such up-to-date for me, and if something new and fancy comes along, since it's basically just an extra display for my phone, with the phone driving all functionality, I can use it in my car too.

miket961

Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number list for this conversion? Mostly not sure which wiring harnesses are needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
Did mine at home for under $300. Found a crunched 2017 on LKQ GL1T-18B955-SB was the part number.

Ordered a GPS antenna from Amazon and the USB hub on Amazon. You can buy the power adapters for $40 bucks but I just soldered it in on my own to save some $$$

Nice thing about coming from another expedition was no programming was really needed since it was the same trim level

ChaLug

Reaction score
Did mine at home for under $300. Found a crunched 2017 on LKQ GL1T-18B955-SB was the part number.

Ordered a GPS antenna from Amazon and the USB hub on Amazon. You can buy the power adapters for $40 bucks but I just soldered it in on my own to save some $$$

Nice thing about coming from another expedition was no programming was really needed since it was the same trim level

You found a crunched Expy on LKQ? What is LKQ?

ChaLug

Reaction score
That's why I love CarPlay. It should remain usable for the foreseeable future (~5-10 years) and it keeps my maps and such up-to-date for me, and if something new and fancy comes along, since it's basically just an extra display for my phone, with the phone driving all functionality, I can use it in my car too.

Just for information, for anyone reading this thread, the Sync 3 unit can be purchased without NAV, as someone else pointed out, and it works with Apple CarPlay AND Android Auto.

I had put a Kenwood head unit in my old Expy (2011King/XLT) and used Android Auto with that. I saved the bucks on NOT buying a Kenwood NAV unit. The thing being, like with all NAV units, each year, if you really want to be up to date, you would have pay for a NAV upgrade. So, with CarPlay and Android Auto, as you know, you don't have to pay for NAV, you just use Google Maps or Waze.

It is also easier to get to your other music apps like Pandora, YouTube Music, etc.