Upgrade towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMnNice

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition Max Limited without the heavy duty towing package. This summer, we would like to buy a travel trailer for the Expedition to haul. The issue is that every travel trailer that would be best for our family is within a hundred pounds of the max towing capacity. I'm concerned this will put strain on the transmission and cause too much heat, especially through a mountain pass or something.

I was thinking of upgrading to the heavy duty radiator with the transmission oil cooler to ease the strain on it. Curious to see if that is a logical and/or smart thing to do. It would run about $1500 to upgrade. I still wouldn't have the brake assist, the 3.73 rear axle and electronic slip dif that the heavy duty towing package has. Questions are:

- smart??
- would it help the transmission if I was close to the max towing?
- other options I should consider?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!!

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition Max Limited without the heavy duty towing package. This summer, we would like to buy a travel trailer for the Expedition to haul. The issue is that every travel trailer that would be best for our family is within a hundred pounds of the max towing capacity. I'm concerned this will put strain on the transmission and cause too much heat, especially through a mountain pass or something.

I was thinking of upgrading to the heavy duty radiator with the transmission oil cooler to ease the strain on it. Curious to see if that is a logical and/or smart thing to do. It would run about $1500 to upgrade. I still wouldn't have the brake assist, the 3.73 rear axle and electronic slip dif that the heavy duty towing package has. Questions are:

- smart??
- would it help the transmission if I was close to the max towing?
- other options I should consider?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!!

If you are towing a TT, you'll need to wire in an aftermarket brake controller at bare minimum. The TT will have brakes, the truck needs to actuate them to tow safely... Good idea what you're already considering around beefing up cooling. It would only help... I recommend mirror extensions as well.

Or other option is just trade it in for one with the HD tow package! [emoji12]

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As already noted, a brake controller. You can have the Ford OEM one fitted. Of course, you'll be using a proper weight distribution hitch. Changing gear ratio and adding the bigger radiator is an expense which probably exceeds the cost of the HD towing package. While you say you are at max capacity, it is designed to tow that.

Actual results? I've seen videos, even with HD package of overheating engines, and videos without the tow package working just fine with a heavy load.

My trailer is at around 5500lbs. Not towed it, yet, but don't expect any issues on a non HD XLT.

OP
OP
M

MrMnNice

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Very helpful! I am looking at a travel trailer that is 5700 lbs, so good with the weight, BUT the hitch weight is 715 lbs. When I pulled up the ford towing chart, I think I'm over the limit, right? I might not be reading it correctly though. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20200219-201239_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a couple of things going on, here: Trailer weight and tongue weight. Trailer weight is limited by vehicle capability. Tongue weight based on the hitch setup.

Non HD tow package, you are 'limited' to around 6000lbs (based on MAX and 4wd configuration) trailer weight. If you have a weight distribution hitch (which you should have at anything above a couple of thousand pounds) The tongue weight can be up to 900 lbs.

So, based on your trailer weight, and tongue weight you have noted, you are within specification for the truck.

As a side note: is 5700lbs dry weight or loaded? I'm guessing dry. That means you are (again) limited to adding 300lbs of cargo to the trailer (you will eat that up quite quickly). Loading up gear, bikes, etc. will, theoretically, will put you over the recommended towing capacity. In addition, you will be loaded up in the vehicle, too, which theoretically reduces the maximum tongue weight for the trailer.

This comes down to the difference between the HD package and the non HD package: the difference is (and someone may correct me if I'm wrong) is the engine cooling and rear differential gear ratio. I don't have an answer, but my best guess is that you will not be able to travel cross country at 90 miles per hour, but at a more sedate pace, putting less strain on the engine.

I'll reiterate, though: a correctly rigged tow hitch, and balanced load in the trailer will provide a much more suitable, comfortable and safe towing experience. Full disclosure: I don't tow as much as some, but when I do, I try to do it right. I've also made mistakes, but nothing horrendous.

Oh, extra note: since we have coil over shocks in the back, adding air bags inside the springs isn't possible. However, there are sumosprings: rubberized inserts that go between the coils which help support the back end when loaded, and have minimal impact when unloaded. It looks like they have good reviews and experiences.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hitch itself is no different on HD tow and non-HD tow. So, technically, those numbers are correct. With a WDH, you can increase the tongue weight safely to 900 pounds.

The HD tow package add additional components to minimize the wear and tear of the tranny and rad. Also, adds the better gear ratio for towing (3.73).

The reason some people have successfuly towed a heavier trailer without the HD tow is maybe because they don't use it in mountainous areas or go on real long trips in a given timeframe (Drive 8 hours straight, of example).

Just make sure you fully understand the numbers when it comes to towing. The cargo that you put in the Expy does take away from the towing capacity. In most cases, especially with pick-up trucks, you will surpass the payload number before the towing capacity of the vehicle. I have not yet with my new vehicle, but you should make a fully loaded trip to a CAT scale and make sure you are within your limits. This can also help determine if your weight distribution hitch is set up properly.

Good luck and happy camping!

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.73 also has a 180lbs higher axle rating vs the 3.23. And you’re probably going to run out of RAWR before you run out of payload or towing capacity...

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.73 also has a 180lbs higher axle rating vs the 3.23. And you’re probably going to run out of RAWR before you run out of payload or towing capacity...
Where did you get this info? I haven't seen that posted anywhere, just curious? Probably somewhere really obvious though...

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you get this info? I haven't seen that posted anywhere, just curious? Probably somewhere really obvious though...
My door sticker (2019 max 4x4 HD tow package says:
GVWR 7720#
FRONT GAWR 3550#
REAR GAWR 4380#

Curb weight (all fluids for normal operation and 90% full of fuel, so 27 gallons) is 5794#

Leaves you with 1926# payload in the expy.

It'll get eaten up in a hurry towing a TT for a camping trip!

FWIW, my camper has 1680# in payload. If I filled water tank full, I'd be right near max for sure...
Need to hit the cat scales to know for sure. That'll be in the spring here...

Last edited: