Upgraded Brake Systems anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was a sale a year ago and some site and didn't have tax so I think total I paid 1800. Sure beats brembo at 5k.
Wow, 1800 for a set? When I put a big break kit on a Jeep previously, the front two calipers alone were 1800... Nice find.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, 1800 for a set? When I put a big break kit on a Jeep previously, the front two calipers alone were 1800... Nice find.

I had been looking at sites here and there for months since I bought my expedition. I don't remember where it was, maybe stage3?, and they had 15% off wildwood and when I went to check out there was no tax. Had to jump on the deal

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was thinking of upgrading to Power Stop - Z23 Evolution Sport Drilled and Slotted Front and Rear Brake Kit. $389.00

Luis - I’m looking at the exact same site and product. I’m thinking I’ll buy it now and wait a little longer for my current pads and rotors to wear bit more.

I have 33k miles on the car (bought with 27k miles) and still somehow plenty of pad wear left but I’m ready for swap for something better with a bit more bite and less dust!

Luis Monjaras

Reaction score
Luis - I’m looking at the exact same site and product. I’m thinking I’ll buy it now and wait a little longer for my current pads and rotors to wear bit more.

I have 33k miles on the car (bought with 27k miles) and still somehow plenty of pad wear left but I’m ready for swap for something better with a bit more bite and less dust!

I'm thinking of buying it soon. don't know if i can wait. I have this light vibration on the steering wheel that it annoys me. I have balanced and rotated the tires. I am thinking is coming from the front left so i am going to swap out the tire with the spare to make sure is not a bent rim. if it is not, then i will buy the power stop setup.

JS CO

Reaction score
I think I'm IN on upgrading the brakes -- I got warped front rotors in less than 20k miles and it's gotten progressively worse... Question for y'all. Should I do both fronts and rears or just fronts? And what about the Power Stop z36 vs z23? z36 is nominally for towing. I tow a light trailer fairly often, without trailer brakes, but it'd be rare to tow more than about 500 lbs, including trailer. E.g. we parallel park the rig by lifting up the back of the trailer and dragging it over to fix our errors.

Last question: Should I consider doing this myself or just pay somebody else?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I'm IN on upgrading the brakes -- I got warped front rotors in less than 20k miles and it's gotten progressively worse... Question for y'all. Should I do both fronts and rears or just fronts? And what about the Power Stop z36 vs z23? z36 is nominally for towing. I tow a light trailer fairly often, without trailer brakes, but it'd be rare to tow more than about 500 lbs, including trailer. E.g. we parallel park the rig by lifting up the back of the trailer and dragging it over to fix our errors.

Last question: Should I consider doing this myself or just pay somebody else?

I’m going with baked pad material causing high spots on your rotors. I have family members that can do that to any vehicle in a week or less‍♂️. Haven’t seen a braking system that fixes user error yet

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the PowerStop Z23 Pads all around + drilled & slotted rotors in front. Been running this combo on Expys for 12 years with great performance per cost. The hotter you get the pads, the, the more they bite with no fade coming down Pikes Peak or towing.PowerStop.jpg

jimmy123x

Reaction score
On my 2008 Expedition, I got tired of the warped rotors every 10k miles (in the first 35k miles) and at 35k miles the rear brakes were shot. I put EBC standard rotors (not slotted or drilled) at all 4 corners and EBC GREEN pads on all 4 corners and for the next 65k miles they were great, much better stopping, no warped rotors, no noise, etc. Was around $1000 for the parts back in 2011.

I have a 2018 limited I bought new and only have 25k miles on it, and have left the factory brakes alone but they don't stop like my '08 did with the EBC stuff.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start with an upgraded pad, EBC's or whichever your prefer. Stock Ford pads are not very aggressive and prone to fade when worked hard/towing, which can lead to warped rotors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE