upgrading towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mark

Reaction score
wondering what exactly needs to be done to upgrade my 2007 expedition to the 9000 lb towing capacity. it is the xlt model with no factory towing package. is this a possible aftermarket upgrade?? expensive? will i need a new rad??

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
A large trans cooler and an oil cooler will make a big difference. You should also look at what rear end gears you have.

I assume that you would be using a weight distributing hitch with a load that heavy, that will help 'push' some of the weight to the front tires.

Also big wheel and tire combos are a no no for towing heavy loads.

bobthegod

Reaction score
PLus wiring a 7 prong plug. Trailer brakes, Extra cooling capacity ie bigger radiator, transmission cooler, filter, check your gear ratio too....and go to trailerlife.com for what your rated as is to tow.

hautevue

Reaction score
Adding towing package stuff

What you want to do adds some significant costs.

1. bigger transmission oil cooler
2. wiring to the rear for the seven pin travel trailer (TT) connector
3. Tapping into the instrument panel wiring harness so you can plug in your TT Brake Controller. (It's possible Ford included that in every harness--the cost is trivial, like maybe $1 for the connector. Dive under the dashboard, and look up at the harness, just to the right of the steering column--you should see an empty connector just dangling there. If you do not have that connector, it's a PITA to tap the harness to put in the plug.)
4. Heavy duty oil cooler and associated hoses, etc.
5. Heavy duty radiator.
6. Heavy frame hitch receiver. Look at the factory one and duplicate it as best you can. Do not get a cheap one--it's your lifeline to the TT.
7. Rear end gear ratio--usually 3.73 or so. It is an expensive mod to put new gears in the rear. If you need this mod, with all the above stuff, you should certainly consider trading in your tow vehicle (TV) and buying another Expy with the factory towing setup.
8. Check the brakes and rotors to make sure they are the same as the ones that Ford supplies on Expy's with the towing package. If not, you should change them. The engine has a lot of power to tow your TT, but your brakes are what stops the whole magilla. There's a financial hit.

Also, the max gross weight your Expy can carry as built does not change when you add the towing mods. In fact, the available load capacity goes down because you've added weight (the trailer hitch receiver is about 50 pounds right there.) Ford's frame, brakes, suspension, etc. are beefed up for the units with the towing package. The max weight will be on the yellow sticker on the front driver's door frame.

And the weight distribution hitch you use to connect the TT to the TV adds about 50 or 60 pounds to the weights the TV has to carry/pull.

All in all, IMHO you're facing a significant money hit. You may want to seriously consider trading in the 2007 Expy and getting a relatively low mileage used 2008 or 2009 with the factory towing package. The net cost to you may not be much different than buying and installing all the above stuff. And then you don't have to do all that work or pay a mechanic $50 or $60 an hour to do it!!!. (and Ford here in Baltimore charges $99 per hour for shop labor...whew!!!)

Good luck!

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second Hautevue - I hunted aroudn until I found an Expy with the HD tow package when I bought mine, however from the research I did apparently the 2" receiver hitch on the HD package (which I never could confirm) is heavier guage than the standard stock hitch with the 4 pin. Seems weird that Ford would do this but... it's possible - I agree ensure you check your door label because that will govern no matter what you do to modify the Expy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants