Upper Control Arm 2003 Model....Need Help and Suggestions on how to Replace...Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am in a bit of a pickle here. I have an 03 Eddie Bauer Expedition 5.4 with 4WD. I was told that the passenger side Upper Bearing was bad and that it needed to be replaced. I found out that they are made where the bearing doesn't come out and that to replace it, you need to replace the Upper Control Arm and that's what I set out to do, but I need HELP.

I got the front bolt off, then I went to the side bolt and after getting the nut off, I went to pull the bolt out but it would not come out. The BIG SPRING, I guess it's called the Main Spring, is right in the way. The top portion of the spring, where it is mounted to the metal "sheath" is what's blocking it. I tried jacking the car up to try and compress the spring with no success. I sat and thought of every way possible to get it out as that 1 bolt is the only one that's preventing me from replacing the upper control arm. Its the same way on both sides.

What would you suggest? I've been told that to replace the Upper Control Arms the main spring must be taken out first. NO WAY I have the capability or resources to that sort of thing.

If anyone has any ideas or knowledge they'd like to share, please do. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks all.
Larry