Upper Control Arm Bushings / HD Control Arm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmpsix

Reaction score
Bump!

Yo, am I doing this right?

2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 2V (RWD)

I already replaced all 4 coil/mount/strut assembly with the KYB's and I love them. Now I need to replace the control arms because at 225k original miles on them, I feel like they're gonna fall apart.

Anyone know if I got everything I need or did I do too much? Goals are OEM everything since this is a daily driver with BF Goodrich KO2's A/T (if that matters).

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2003,expedition,5.4l+v8,1411119,suspension

Suspension.PNG

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could possibly do the lift upper control arms from an f150 for the front. I was looking into getting them for my 05.

Dmpsix

Reaction score
That looks like all the big pieces ....

What do you mean?

You could possibly do the lift upper control arms from an f150 for the front. I was looking into getting them for my 05.

I just want it to ride like stock and as comfy as possibly.

2nd Gen Expy has **** tons of ground clearance. I think with the KO2's I'm already a damn near 12 inches off the ground.

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They have them for f150s. They are for 2-4 inch lifts. Helps with the ball joint alignment. Will bolt right on. I think they were around 400$ but will definitely help with ride and binding and premature failure.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all.

I have on 03 Eddie Bauer, 5.4 in 4wd and I have been trying for 2 days to replace my upper control arm that have the bushings already in it. I can get 2 of the bolts off, but the last one can't be simply pulled out. The bolt is blocked by the main spring. I can only pull it about 2 inches or so until the head of the bolt simply won't move anymore from the Main Spring.

How did you all get it out? Did you take the main spring out and then replace the upper control arm? Please tell me how I can get that 3rd bolt out without taking the mainspring out.

The option I am looking at now is cutting the bolt, removing it and after getting the upper control arm in place, inserting the bolt from the opposite side with the nut on the inside. I don't know what I can cut it with that will fit into the small space at the top of the main spring.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I am just hoping that someone can help me to get this last bolt out of both sides.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally you should take out the strut pack. I have seen youtube vids where some guys will take a prybar and compress the strut pack to remove where the strut mount is connected to get space but looks really sketchy.

texasscot

Reaction score
Normally you should take out the strut pack. I have seen youtube vids where some guys will take a prybar and compress the strut pack to remove where the strut mount is connected to get space but looks really sketchy.

+1 on this. Really simple. Remove top three nuts, remove 30mm bolt from bottom. this allows free movement of the spring/shock.