Upper Control Arm (UCA) upgrade for 2003?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't seem to find any upgrade UCA's for 03/04 Expy. Mine is lifted with Raptor wheels/tires and the Moog replacements just don't hold up. The rubber bushings at the frame mount (especially the rear mount) wear out before the ball joint. Lifetime warranty, so no cost to replace, but I'm tired of doing it every couple years and wearing out tires.

Is anyone aware of some good UCA's for 03/04? I need to get new tires soon, but want to get these replaced first so I don't eat up the new tires.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the 03/04 control arms are unique to those years Expeditions/Navigators.

if it was an 07-17, then you’d have some options.

You could always try to figure out what is different about yours and a 2007-2017. A trip to the junkyard would help

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could always try to figure out what is different about yours and a 2007-2017. A trip to the junkyard would help
Thanks Tom! I can't see the forest because I'm staring at this tree! The wife's 16 is right next to me in the driveway lol I'll have to pull a wheel and do some comparisons.

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I pulled the driver's side wheel off the wife's '16 and laid the '03 new Moog upper control arm in there. It's almost 2" wider on the back end. I can't say if the upper ball joint location is the same geometry, but it's close.
20211015_165134.jpg20211015_165128.jpg

If I had more time, I'd build a jig off the Moog's, buy a set of tubular UCA's and modify them to fit the jig. Maybe next time.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am curious how much stress and abuse an UCA sees compared to a LCA. I just had my LBJ's and UCA's changed on my 2WD 01, and though the LBJ have Zerks, the UCA's do not.

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '03 factory LBJ's didn't have grease zerks, but the Moog replacements I installed 6 years ago do.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Broncoholic, you could do the same comparison using a 04 F150 UCA. The UCA (and most front end stuff) for F150 and Exp have different part numbers, and are probably different in some small way, but look very similar. There is a world of performance UCAs available for F150s, but I don't know if similar enough that you could make it work.
I plan on doing this comparison but I won't be able to until probably spring next year.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found moog doesn't have right parts. They don't recognize 2003 / 2004 build years. I used Ford parts website to help me out. Then I ended up with mevotech uca... the higher grade ones. Called moog tech support and he discounted my call... till I started quoted info of Ford parts website. I have a 2004 will a build date of 2003.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I gave up on moog 10 years ago. Nothing about them is good anymore. Lifetime replacement warranty. Means you will be replacing for a lifetime. I put a set of ISG uppers in mine. About a year ago. Seem to be holding up well so far. It’s a 05 with 3” lift with 285-70r17

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found moog doesn't have right parts. They don't recognize 2003 / 2004 build years. I used Ford parts website to help me out. Then I ended up with mevotech uca... the higher grade ones. Called moog tech support and he discounted my call... till I started quoted info of Ford parts website. I have a 2004 will a build date of 2003.
Moog has all kinds of parts listed for 2003.

And 2004.