Used 4th Gen Search Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camo15ok

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, and have found lots of information on this site already. I am looking to get a used 2018 Expedition with the 202A package and the HD Tow Package on an XLT model. I am having trouble finding a good way to search and find the HD Tow package utilizing search engines ( cars.com, cargurus, ect)? I know the FX4 package gets the 3.73 gears just thought there might be something else that I can include in my search.

Thanks for the help,
cam

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No easy way to add an additional filter on the websites for the HD tow package. Your best bet to identify the presence of the HD Tow package is to look at the photos and identify the trailer brake controller and trailer backup knob on the dash near the driver's right knee. Make sure it has both since some have added the OEM Ford brake controller after the fact to non-HD Tow package Expy's. Expy's without the HD Tow package will have a plastic coin holder where the trailer backup knob normally goes, and a small cubby where the brake controller belongs.

Plati

Reaction score
I gave it a try with my VIN and it shows it's a 2018 Limited 4x4, but doesn't show any of the option packages, etc. It shows the boiler plate standard features (3:31 axle ratio), etc.
I tried it with a cars.com vehicle. In the results there are Tabs with different categories and data related to that category. Saw tow info in one of them.

Find the vehicle, click on picture to go to ad, copy & paste VIN, go to Equipment tab ...
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Camo15ok

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Looks like looking for back up knob is really the best way to go. I appreciate the help.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried it with a cars.com vehicle. In the results there are Tabs with different categories and data related to that category. Saw tow info in one of them.

Find the vehicle, click on picture to go to ad, copy & paste VIN, go to Equipment tab ...
View attachment 32829

Yeah, unfortunately the info displayed doesn't reflect actual option packages selected for the vehicle. This is displaying standard features. When I ran my VIN it also displayed the same info and showed a 3:31 axle ratio even though mine has the 3:73 that comes with the HD tow package, etc. I assume the Ford dealer could identify specific option packages based on the VIN, but doesn't look like the free VIN decoders online offer that much detail from the ones that I sampled.

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately the info displayed doesn't reflect actual option packages selected for the vehicle. This is displaying standard features. When I ran my VIN it also displayed the same info and showed a 3:31 axle ratio even though mine has the 3:73 that comes with the HD tow package, etc. I assume the Ford dealer could identify specific option packages based on the VIN, but doesn't look like the free VIN decoders online offer that much detail from the ones that I sampled.
Mine is pretty close although not exact and not all details. For example it shows both 17 and 18 inch wheels. Its not the window sticker that's for sure. I think you are right, cant disagree. I wish I had the window sticker for mine!

I think (probably year dependent) if you have a 7 pin trailer connector you have the HD tow package.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Is actually called an EL not a Max by Ford. I'm not sure why, but a lot of the paperwork said EL! Just in case this helps you're searching......