Usually, seeing the long term consequences becomes clearer w/age......usually.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeff kushner, Jun 13, 2019.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Completely off subject of trucks but as a lot of you know, Kerry and I are going to get married one day and we'll be buying another home. So, I began restoring my lawn that I'd let go-to-pot over the past 7-8 years. I'll want to sell next Spring(hopefully) so I plunked down a few hundred dollars for seed, limestone, fertilizer and peat moss and a little of my labor, lots of Kerry's.

Down went the limestone (pulverized), fertilizer and seed (via drop spdr).....4 wks later, boom, weed killer (via drop spdr)....three wks later boom, 16-4-8 stabilization fertilizer.....

(Last Sunday after coming back from AZ, Kerry had disturbed a birds nest while putting down the 16/4/8 and was worried that the mom wouldn't come back for the babies.....she did.....but Tues, I sent this pic letting her know that she didn't have to worry about the babies anymore....but she could see them if she looked close!)

It's working great too....the strains for "mostly shade" combined with "heat" and "drought" are pretty amazing today compared with the crud we got in the 70's. I planted Firecracker SLS since I wanted the LS part to fill in open areas.

I have what I call, The Big Three....3 very large, magnificent Red Oaks that not only cover my entire front yard by reach over the road in front as well....needless to say to those who also have big oaks....we have a very limited planting time before the pollen drops and before the leaves form, blocking out most of the sun.

It's been 7-8 weeks since we planted everything...the weeds are slowly dying out but DAMN this grass is growing fast......

I bought another blade for my mower but I wasn't really planning on cutting it every 5 days or so.......funny how I had forgotten all about the mowing part!

jeff

tree hunter.jpg

Trainmaster likes this.
  2. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

The joys of house selling are yet to come. What until you meet the condescending, insulting idiots who come to look. All they seem to care about today is the color of the kitchen paint...

Nice work with the lawn. Hope it takes well before the trees fill out!

3. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Oh no Train, I've sold homes twice before......I'm never there when people look! Their drama would drive me nuts<LOL>!

All the improvements that I'm doing now are just for the buyers you mention!

My roof('15)/well/septic/Heat & AC/Plumbing/aux power/pumps are perfect.....just that the house built in '66 is aging....cracks in the concrete driveway, ext paint, a couple of slats missing on one of the old original shutters....that kind of stuff. So in go a bit of $ and labor.

Basically, it's all fluff! Kerry's a huge help because she watches all those tv shows that I don't so she knows the "modern colors" and how to stage things. It's paint, new baseboards, new plumbing fixtures, cool wall switches, french door fridge, new floor in the kit....fluff.

I am not selling my home to a man, I'm selling it to his wife who will appreciate all the crap above.....

He may like the large garage w welder & compressor or the 600sf finished storage room behind the finished basement....but his wife WILL be my biggest sales agent! She's the one who will need the 18 x 22 kit, 3 full trms, 2 fireplaces.....yep, she may be his wife but she's gonna be my b*tch so I need to impress her!

Kind of harsh outlook I know..... but buying/selling is prob the largest transaction most of us perform for ourselves, regardless of what we do for a living. Why wouldn't we approach it as a business transaction?

I think I got myself into a box though....with now needing to mow every few days, I lose time for the other stuff!

LMAO

jeff

Trainmaster likes this.
  4. Trainmaster

The stuff I sell is usually rental property. Most buyers could care less if a rental could make them millionaires if the kitchen's not the right color. So I sit on it, deal with the b*tches who turn their nose up, and wait for the foreigner who knows the American dream is all about making money work for them. I'm so tired of this.

For me, it's just not worth adding the fluff to make it a principal residence. I'd never get the return for the work. I clean them up, polish the landscaping, sand the floors and paint the interiors. Most people don't even want to see the tax bills which can be out of this world.

5. powerboatr

powerboatr Full Access Members

great story....i thought you said birds, i see a snake up there :banana-mario:

6. TobyU

TobyU Full Access Members

What is the rule about putting money into remodels and stuff...you get like only 20% of it back?
    That might be dependent on condition. If something is too terrible looking it hurts many possible sales so you are getting NO money until it sells.

7. Boostedbus

Boostedbus Full Access Members

Yeah we live in a world of bells and whistles now. Young buyers nowadays don’t care if the foundation is cracked or roof is shot, but it’s got all new stainless steel appliances and granite tops. The truth of the matter is most of the older appliances were mainly made in the good ol USA and last longer because they are simple without all the bells and whistles that most people don’t even use. What ever happened to the trash compactor? That was a must have back in the 70’s if you wanted to make the statement that you’ve made the big time.

TobyU likes this.
  8. Trainmaster

It seems that each generation has its hot buttons. Younger people grew up with remodeling shows and want stainless and granite. Their education is not in science so they care little about the structure, integrity or mechanicals of a home.

My investment properties usually sell to foreigners - generally recent legal emigrants from Europe. They look at the finances and leveraging of rental real estate investment and will live in their cars if they can pull a few thousand monthly out of a property. I've watched a few of them become millionaires.

They're still finding the American Dream I suppose.

9. Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone Full Access Members

Then again dealing with appraisers and home inspectors are other fun experiences. When we sold our last home, the appraiser was spot on. Then, after the offer was accepted, the "inspector" made his visit. Among the things he recommended were:
    • He wanted drip traps on the major gas appliances (water heater, furnaces, dryer) which met code without them when the home was built. Still not "code" everywhere. After 20 years not having any problems, why now? A trip to Home Depot and a wasted Saturday morning took care of this unnecessary request.
    • He walked on our tile roof and broke seven tiles, then wrote it down as something he found--I know they were all intact as I had our 100-pound son walk the roof before we placed home on the market. Fortunately we had around 20 spare tiles saved from when the home was built
    • We had a brand new dishwasher installed, it had a sign on it that it was brand new and still had the literature inside. Without so much as looking at the inside, the inspector runs dishwasher and ruins all of the literature and warranty information
    • Our swimming pool was installed with a pool heater, but it developed leaks around five years prior to the sale, likely because it was only used twice, so we took it out and didn't replace it. Inspector writes in his report that home owners (us) should install a new pool heater for the buyers as a good-will gesture (none of his business) so the buyers used his recommendation to leverage half the cost of a pool heater (their agent paid the other half as she and we just wanted to get this sale done).
    That's an experience I hope to never endure again.

10. TobyU

TobyU Full Access Members

I dislike and or despise most inspectors. They're of the same breed of pencil pushers like many hateful Elementary School teachers or principals, old school Bankers, Hall monitors, flashlight cop wannabes Etc.
    The sad part is Sidious off and allow them almost complete discretion to require things just because they want them that aren't even required by code. No one should have to do anything that the code doesn't specifically State. I don't care what your preferences are. Go do that in your own home.
    I don't have many dealings with these kind of people and that's on purpose. Because unfortunately once you have them get it in for you there often isn't another person you can get. Especially when working with cities. I'd tell them all where to go.
    When you know the code and even nicely put up any resistance to them and say, yeah I know new installations do that and if I were installing a new one I would of course do it but since it's not required by code I don't see any reason. They freak out and then you're the bad guy in the enemy. Then they look for even more.
    Good gesture - there are no good gestures needed. You simply offer something up for sale at a certain price and someone either agrees to pay it or offers lower. That's it. . You don't need good gestures, or relationships.