V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John J Brockman

Reaction score
ANyone swapped out the 5.4 for the V10??? Love the expedition body interior ride air leveling etc.. But need more power for towing and don't want to get a excursion or super duty.....

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ANyone swapped out the 5.4 for the V10??? Love the expedition body interior ride air leveling etc.. But need more power for towing and don't want to get a excursion or super duty.....

Ecoboost seems the easier route for that.

With '15s starting in the early $20k's it's probably easier to trade up... or do a performance tune if yours is a low-value old beater (which gen 5.4 are we talking?)

Also, not sure but it seems like the motor ain't the only part holding the tow rating down to 9k lbs... after all, oldskool tractor trailers had less power (albeit more torque), but still towed like 8x more

Or is your main goal a tinkering project, not the result?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you towing? My 5.4 with 3.73s doesn’t even start to feel it until you hit 5k+ pounds. Do you have 3.31s? What year and engine 2V or 3V?

If the 5.4 of any variety can’t handle it you likely need a bigger truck at that point for what your doing.....an ecoboost or V10 won’t help you. The 5.4 will handle more than any half ton should be towing and do it safely. If your towing upwards of 10k regularly which it sounds like you are....you should go for a 6.7 PowerStroke F-250 or 350. I owned one for a short bit and it was a good truck....ultimately unneeded and had an emissions issue come up so I dumped it. Was a lot of truck that ended up sitting because I was constantly driving my expy.

The tow rating is what it is because of chassis and suspension. You can’t tow any more with the V10...in fact you’ll be limited to tow even less because your payload will be decreased.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you towing? My 5.4 with 3.73s doesn’t even start to feel it until you hit 5k+ pounds. Do you have 3.31s? What year and engine 2V or 3V?

If the 5.4 of any variety can’t handle it you likely need a bigger truck at that point for what your doing.....an ecoboost or V10 won’t help you. The 5.4 will handle more than any half ton should be towing and do it safely. If your towing upwards of 10k regularly which it sounds like you are....you should go for a 6.7 PowerStroke F-250 or 350. I owned one for a short bit and it was a good truck....ultimately unneeded and had an emissions issue come up so I dumped it. Was a lot of truck that ended up sitting because I was constantly driving my expy.

The tow rating is what it is because of chassis and suspension. You can’t tow any more with the V10...in fact you’ll be limited to tow even less because your payload will be decreased.

Payload is over(under)rated... and the "halfton" designation has long since lost any meaning

That said, for towing far north of 10k, you got your F350 duallys or competing GM products, some of those are rated for around 20k lbs iirc (dunno about Rams, always seemed crappy to me...although I've seen a guy in a Ram hauling around shipping containers by the docks a few times)

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not specifically responding to towing (I agree with JExpedition07 re chassis and suspension) if I ever decide to swap out the engine I have now (5.4 2V) I really hope I can put in a 12V Cummins.