Vacation - Battery disconnect ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I'm travelling a lot this winter, month at a time. Don't want my 2003XLT battery to run down and freeze. Battery Tender at AutoZone is $44, fughetaboutthat. Is it OK to just disconnect the battery? If I do that ... is it preferable to remove positive, negative, or both battery cables? Negative (ground looks a lot easier to remove). I've got a 3/6 amp battery charger but thats to not be used as a battery tender, right?

The Owners Manual says ... if battery is disconnected ... the transmission must relearn its shift settings, idle has to relearn, fuel trim has to relearn, and worst of all I will lose my preset radio stations. Sounds bad since everything works so well at the moment. Not sure I want to risk that.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you've got a safe place to leave battery tender plugged in, that's the best bet. Just disconnecting a battery then rehooking it up, especially in extreme weather, you'll lose some of the charge. I think it's about 1/10th volt every 2 days. If that theory's correct, your 12.6 volt fully charged battery will be at 11.3 volts after 30 days. Personally I don't think the drop is that critical. If your just going the disconnect route, why not install one of the battery disconnects, that hooks up on the positive side of battery. Cheap to buy at any parts store, and easy to install. Owners of classic cars use them all the time.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Max Fernandez

Reaction score
It is always better for your battery to go with a battery tender. My humble recommendation is to go with that.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
It is always better for your battery to go with a battery tender. My humble recommendation is to go with that.
Think you're right. I'll put a crowbar in my wallet and buy one. Probably can beat that AutoZone price. Then I'll have one when I need one forever.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
These cars have a bit of a drain. I store my '67 pickup all winter in an unheated garage and it starts right up in the spring. I'd put the battery tender on it if it's going to be laid up for months. For a month at a time you shouldn't have any problem if you run it every month.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been using Harbor Freights battery tenders for years without issue. May be on sale now.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have loved to have s battery tender back in the 70's when our motorcycle batteries would be replaced pretty much every year. I think back then the quality wasn't that hot either. But yeah like we've all said, get a tender, plug it in, and like the Jersey boys say, fahget about it. Their safe, and they work.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the original Battery Tender, not an imitation. If it's any consolation, I have a permanently installed under the hood a waterproof 6 amp charger and mine gets plugged in every night.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Harbor Freight battery tenders are around $5-$8. They will fit inside the engine bay.

Other then that, just pull the battery and stick it in your basement.