Vacation - Battery disconnect ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Motorcraft 84 month, @ dealer was $80 installed, with $20/off coupon(got in mail, $20 off any part).

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Since I disconnected the battery (at least twice in the past few days) along with the dead battery (several times) ... and I'm scheduled for a NYS inspection in the morning --- I had to execute a drive cycle to make the computers ready for the Emissions Test. The internet has all kinds of convoluted procedures, but I read a simple one right in the Owners Manual. Drove around yesterday & today and got it done, confirmed at Advance Auto. I think it takes more than 1 (maybe 3) drive around to fully heated up then full cool down cycles but not exactly sure. Highway speed & stop n go around town.

The guy at Advance Auto went through quite a few menu's checking alllll over the vehicle with his Scan Tool. Took a couple few minutes. My cheapo $20 bluetooth dongle couldnt do all that! Guy that put in the battery and the OBD2 guy both did an excellent job (Penfield). With all the trashing of auto service guys I hear, these guys did an great job and I appreciate it. God Bless America!

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be stopping by the dealer soon to grab a new battery. This morning it was and still is 0 Fahrenheit. Truck struggled to turn over and start this morning after just being driven last night.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I’ll be stopping by the dealer soon to grab a new battery. This morning it was and still is 0 Fahrenheit. Truck struggled to turn over and start this morning after just being driven last night.
YES … same thing on my 2014EL. 1 degree F here. Noticed it seemed to be a weak start, so I turned it off and measured voltage. 11.82V This seems like a repeat of what I just went through on my 2003XLT and replaced that battery. Both batteries about 5 years old. I'm not going to try to eek a few more days out of this battery … time to replace!

Cold tests your vehicle the same way heavy winds test your sailboat.
You find out where the weak rigging is in the heavy winds!

update: best battery they had was $139 plus $28.50 to install. Was surprised by the install charge but at least it went well. Batteries are trickier to install than they used to be (heard).

I told them I wanted the biggest and baddest,
which they said was the 850CCA BXT-65-850
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...oup-size-65-top-post-battery/bxt65850/4495573

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopped just now, got the cargo in back. Mine was $109 plus $15 core charge after discount.82533F7F-B029-4CA4-B3E4-10679C1E296D.jpeg

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you think that's big, ever see a Mercedes grp 49? Or a large truck battery? Makes our group 65 look tiny.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You put the battery(that's full of acid) on your seat?

It was there for the 5 minute ride yep. Not too worried about the interior on my old 07’. Cranked over nice and strong this morning.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To make mine fit yesterday I had to ditch that factory insulation thought I’d add. Didn’t want to participate and was starting to deteriorate anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360