Vacuum Line Connection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boozaro

Reaction score
Greetings-

I've looked through my Haynes manual and Google, but I can't find this line anywhere. If there is an existing thread for this already, I apologize. I searched, but it was difficult to find anything that applied. I've also looked all around the engine to see where it would connect. It doesn't appear to be plugged, and I can't find anything that looks like it would receive this line.

I am currently getting P0174 and P2198 codes which I'm trying to track down. I'm sort of getting used to having a check engine light on. Seems like the norm for me. Everything seems to be running smoothly (although I hate saying that) - no rough idle, stalls, or other issues.

The line is curved and attaches to another line with a clip (see arrow) which is broken, so there aren't too many places it can go. I sure would appreciate a little help. Maybe it is plugged, but as you can see from the photo, it doesn't look like it.

Thanks for your help.

This is on:

2004 Ford Expedition EB, 4x4, 5.4L

IMG_1701.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

Donald Bell

Reaction score
Does it seem as though you have a loss in power when trying to accelerate? Like it's struggling to get up like after 1/2 gear you finally feel your truck translating power properly? I'm asking because if I remember correctly those may be codes for your truck riding "lean" or "too much air in both 4 cylender banks" one is the passenger side/the other is the drivers side. I also only say that because it's an easy fix and one that I experienced not to long ago and thought I needed a tune up but turned out to be a busted vac hose! I also have a 2004 EB 4x4 HD Tow 5.4L 2V20210422_163913.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's most likely your front axle vent hose. Track down the other end of it and see if its plugged into your axle vent. The top end is supposed to be open like that and secured to something so it doesn't fall down out of the engine bay ( but not too close to the exhaust manifold...). The P0174 code is a probably a vacuum leak on the driver's side of the motor, and that is causing the P2198 code as well, 'cause the oxygen sensor is sending signals that are out of the normal range due to the lean condition. The quickest way to find the vacuum leak is with a smoke machine. It's the best $100 tool you'll ever buy.

https://www.amazon.com/AutoLine-Pro-Automotive-Detector-Diagnostic/dp/B07JVT1NG2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1V869RMZH0MSM&dchild=1&keywords=smoke+tester+automotive&qid=1623074842&sprefix=smoke+tester,aps,165&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBWEtDT0ZEQzJRMEEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0Mzg2MzlKR1ZHVDU4MlZJS1AmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDI2MTQxODE1WjFOWlExT09JVTYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boozaro

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Looks like a vent. I knew it was too easy.

I've got a question - why didn't Ford issue a smoke machine with the purchase of these vehicles? Damn things. Well, I guess I've farted around long enough. Time to break down and buy one. Probably should've done it years ago. Would've saved me countless hours of searching with all the leaks I've had over the years.

Live and learn.

Thanks again for all the help.

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's most likely your front axle vent hose. Track down the other end of it and see if its plugged into your axle vent. The top end is supposed to be open like that and secured to something so it doesn't fall down out of the engine bay ( but not too close to the exhaust manifold...). The P0174 code is a probably a vacuum leak on the driver's side of the motor, and that is causing the P2198 code as well, 'cause the oxygen sensor is sending signals that are out of the normal range due to the lean condition. The quickest way to find the vacuum leak is with a smoke machine. It's the best $100 tool you'll ever buy.

https://www.amazon.com/AutoLine-Pro-Automotive-Detector-Diagnostic/dp/B07JVT1NG2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1V869RMZH0MSM&dchild=1&keywords=smoke+tester+automotive&qid=1623074842&sprefix=smoke+tester,aps,165&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBWEtDT0ZEQzJRMEEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0Mzg2MzlKR1ZHVDU4MlZJS1AmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDI2MTQxODE1WjFOWlExT09JVTYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Thanks Ham, that is actually super useful! Added to cart!!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Looks like a vent. I knew it was too easy.

I've got a question - why didn't Ford issue a smoke machine with the purchase of these vehicles? Damn things. Well, I guess I've farted around long enough. Time to break down and buy one. Probably should've done it years ago. Would've saved me countless hours of searching with all the leaks I've had over the years.

Live and learn.

Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah, really. They should've had that option box to check when ordering one. More useful than the under-hood courtesy light ....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze