Valve cover bolt sheered off in head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks man. Hopefully you can get it taken care of. How many people are going? Toyota rents cars for $35/day. If you had no other mode to haul that many people I’d have all pitch in for a Sienna and enjoy the ride down. Use the difference in gas to fix your valve cover when you get back [emoji2373]. Where are you going in Florida? Enjoy your trip! Missouri can’t make up its mind if it wants to be in winter or summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks man. Hopefully you can get it taken care of. How many people are going? Toyota rents cars for $35/day. If you had no other mode to haul that many people I’d have all pitch in for a Sienna and enjoy the ride down. Use the difference in gas to fix your valve cover when you get back [emoji2373]. Where are you going in Florida? Enjoy your trip! Missouri can’t make up its mind if it wants to be in winter or summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinois, either. 37 and raining, here.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I decided I’m going to take a company F-350 and leave the leaky Expedition because it’s starting to leak EVERYWHERE fast. I played where’s Waldo and popped the valve cover and sure enough it’s sheared off right flush with the head. I’d like to strangle whoever decided to use thin steel bolts on aluminum heads. Dumber than a box of rocks. Not even sure where to go from here but it’s after vacations problem. I can’t fit a drill in there to retrieve, and I stopped at my mechanics before hand and he said no way he want to dedicate a guy to that with how tight it is until he’s got a light week. AKA he doesn’t want to even try.

Plati

Reaction score
You just may probably could should might want to reconsider driving to Florida right now with the gasoline situation. I'm driving home from Florida and people are hoarding gas, lines can be long, and some stations are OUT of gas. Drove from Florida to Wytheville VA today and just topped off the tank. Plan to alter route tomorrow to Akron and then over to Erie instead of WV PA. Lots of this going on.
IMG_20210511_173330353_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just may probably could should might want to reconsider driving to Florida right now with the gasoline situation. I'm driving home from Florida and people are hoarding gas, lines can be long, and some stations are OUT of gas. Drove from Florida to Wytheville VA today and just topped off the tank. Plan to alter route tomorrow to Akron and then over to Erie instead of WV PA. Lots of this going on.
View attachment 41995

Is there a better route? We are out $3,000 if we don’t go. Ouch.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I really can't say don't go. Do take gas cans if you go. Research it , it is evolving. Might be fine. Just wanted to heads up in case you didn't know. Don't let tank get low, I was filling up at 2/3 full today. Could be a toilet paper situation. I think every car in east coast is filling tank tonight.

What do full gas cans do in full Florida sun and 94 degree weather?

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-gas-demand-hack-05-11-21/index.html

Last edited:

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know when your trip is planned. If in the next day or two you should carry all the gas you can safely carry and follow advise to keep the tank filled whenever possible. They say if this gas pipeline outage continues more then 5 or 6 days it could become VERY problematic. If lucky the worst will be you have no options on the grade of gas. i.e. maybe only reg vs premium.

I filled up last night and the station I went to only had two of four islands running and I'm guessing all islands were shut down by quitting time.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I’m wondering if I should fix this valve cover tomorrow. The Expedition gets 525 miles to a tank, the F-350 is telling me I can get 335 miles full out lol. I think that’s based on the average though, and this truck mainly plows and does 100% city driving so I’m betting reality will be a better range. All we can do is watch as it develops I suppose, and can’t carry extra gas in the Expedition (without dying of fumes).

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So question— the heater hoses. Is that some sort of disconnect where the rubber hoses meet the aluminum lines? If I could remove those hoses it would be ALOT easier to fix valve cover when I get back