Valvoline Maxlife Automatic Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
I'm taking my 2019 Ford Expy for an oil change and thinking about also doing an automatic transmission fluid flush. The independent shop I go to uses Valvoline products and uses Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It seems to be compatible with many OEM fluids including Mercon LV but the owners manual says the Expy uses Mercon ULV. Wondering if anyone used Maxlife for their 4th generation Expys and have any feedback to provide. I know Valvoline has a synthetic ATF ULV product but this shop doesn't carry it.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only use the ULV for your transmission. Use of any other fluid can cause transmission failure. I would caution against having a flush done. It’s usually better to drop the pan, drain the fluid, and have the filter changed.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maxlife has a ULV ATF fluid in the blue bottle. That one should be ok for the 10 speed, but confirm on the website.

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would want Ford, not Valvoline, to make the claim that the blue bottle is OK for the tranny, though.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would want Ford, not Valvoline, to make the claim that the blue bottle is OK for the tranny, though.
And considering that Ford specifically states:
"Note: Only use MERCON® ULV transmission fluid for automatic transmissions that require MERCON® ULV transmission fluid. The use of any other fluid could cause transmission damage."

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No different from using oil other than Motorcraft. Ford doesn't make fluids. It specs fluids, sources it, and sells it at a markup. The Valvoline ULV meets Fords specs according to the Valvoline website. That's enough for me. Ford will never tell you which manufacturers products meet its requirements. There's too many and it would reduce Motorcraft fluid sales.

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know all that.

I meant I would want to see Ford listing the maxlife blue as meeting their specs.

Vavloine can claim their branded products "meet or exceed" any auto manufacturer spec. Whether they do or not in actuality is a different story.