Variable Cam Timing and sludge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calexgon

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I love reading all the great advice everyone on this forum offers. I have posted a couple of questions before and always had great responses and help from all of the very knowledgeable folks here. Thank you all!

Now to my question. I have a 2015 XLT EL Expy with the 3.5 and the other day the check engine light came on. It immediately showed signs of having no power and I took it into the dealer yesterday morning. The dealer called and said that the engine has a lot of sludge build-up and that the Variable Cam Timing was sticking and dropping to full retard position. I don't know much about the variable timing on this motor, but the dealer told me that due to insufficient oil change frequency, that sludge has built up in the motor causing this issue and now they won't warranty any fix except for an engine replacemnt ($11k). Before I made this gigantic leap, I thought I'd ask if anyone had any advice for me (other than to change my oil more often, as I'm not painfully aware).

Do I have any alternatives that you can suggest? I'd really like to keep the Expy if possible and would like to avoid buying a new, or even used vehicle, but will if that's what makes the most sense.

Thanks for any advice you can send me.

Have a great day

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you change the oil at the recommended frequency? If so, go back and tell them to fix it under warranty.

OP
OP
C

Calexgon

Reaction score
Hi jkayca
Unfortunately not this last time. I let it go too long. I'm also out of warranty as I'm at about 144,000 miles at this point.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi jkayca
Unfortunately not this last time. I let it go too long. I'm also out of warranty as I'm at about 144,000 miles at this point.
Well that sucks. Given that you are out of warranty I would go somewhere other than the dealer for a second opinion.
There are also additives you can use to try and get rid of the sludge but I don't know how well they really work.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Letting one oil change go too long doesn’t cause engine harming sludge buildup. I got a feeling you’ve let just about every oil change probably go too long.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
That engine would really need 100K miles of serious neglect to cause that problem. Modern oils simply don't gum up like the oils of a few decades ago. Here's a couple of thoughts.

I believe the VCT Control Solenoids have screens in them that can clog with sludge. I may be wrong, but someone will correct me if I am. Have these been checked?

Consider 07navi's advice. In the old days we'd flush engines with kerosene for awhile to clear the wax, gum and crap from the old time oils when we had sludged lifters. That could certainly be explored. There's a lot of diagnostics that should be done long before someone recommends scrapping a six year old motor.

How about finding a real mechanic that will work with you on these recommendations?