Vehicle break-in and oil change frequency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What would be great is if ford included reference materials that give the consumer an understanding of what the service intervals should be, so they don't need to guess!

I happened to find one.
On the page that says "Oil Change Reminder" it outlines 3 criteria of when you should listen to the oil life indicator, and when you might want to increase your service interval depending on your driving style. Never to exceed 1 year or 10,000 miles.
Go figure!

NORMAL = 7500-10000 miles, which they define as "normal commuting, highway driving, no or moderate loads and towing on flat roads, no extended idling"
Severe = 5000-7500 miles, moderate to heavy load, towing, mountainous or off-road conditions, extended hot or cold operation, extended idling
Extreme = 3000-5000 miles, max load or towing, extreme hot or cold operation

Most people probably fall between Normal and Severe. So 7500 miles or sooner is probably the sweet spot.

OP
OP
S

Stsysar

Reaction score
What would be great is if ford included reference materials that give the consumer an understanding of what the service intervals should be, so they don't need to guess!

I happened to find one.
On the page that says "Oil Change Reminder" it outlines 3 criteria of when you should listen to the oil life indicator, and when you might want to increase your service interval depending on your driving style. Never to exceed 1 year or 10,000 miles.
Go figure!

NORMAL = 7500-10000 miles, which they define as "normal commuting, highway driving, no or moderate loads and towing on flat roads, no extended idling"
Severe = 5000-7500 miles, moderate to heavy load, towing, mountainous or off-road conditions, extended hot or cold operation, extended idling
Extreme = 3000-5000 miles, max load or towing, extreme hot or cold operation

Most people probably fall between Normal and Severe. So 7500 miles or sooner is probably the sweet spot.
Very useful info. Just to keep in mind that these numbers reflect using full synthetic oil.

Being in Florida I would imagine that the vehicle would be subjected to higher operating temperatures and thus, require more frequent oil changes.

Falunnilu enough, reminder sticker from Ford states 10k miles to next oil change. It would have been nice to get this explanation from Ford service staff after you pick up a vehicle from service. I bet most people don't know any better and just follow the max millage for oil changes.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always stuck with the monitor directions; however, that was knowing I wasn't planning on keeping the vehicle more than 1-2 years.
This time around, I plan on holding onto both the Expedition and the 5.0 so I have been changing more regularly 5,000-7,500 and going with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.