Vibrating noise at low RPM (2017 Expy EL Limited)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

night vision

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited that is making a noise in low RPM range while driving. From the drivers seat, no vibration is felt...sounds similar to an ABS pump operating (but is not the issue...just sounds like it). Happens usually when driving uphill at low speeds when the RPM is around 900-1000. Goes away after it shifts and the RPM jumps.

Any ideas? I've posted it to YouTube https://youtu.be/5jc7hN7dhXw It repeats itself five (5) times.

Thanks!

Phil

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a very similar issue on my 2012. Replaced the vacuum check valve on the IWE system and it was fixed.

Basically at a low RPM there isn't as much vacuum coming from the engine and if the check valve is bad, it will cause the front wheel hubs to partially engage. If the check valve is good, it will hold a higher level of vacuum in the system and keep the hubs disengaged.

Edit: not sure how the vacuum system works on the Ecoboost engines, but my guess is it's similar.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited that is making a noise in low RPM range while driving. From the drivers seat, no vibration is felt...sounds similar to an ABS pump operating (but is not the issue...just sounds like it). Happens usually when driving uphill at low speeds when the RPM is around 900-1000. Goes away after it shifts and the RPM jumps.

Any ideas? I've posted it to YouTube https://youtu.be/5jc7hN7dhXw It repeats itself five (5) times.

Thanks!

Phil

I replaced the IWE vacuum check valve and it eliminated the noise on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

This is the updated TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149748-9999.pdf

The initial TSB (when I did the work) stated to replace the check valve and do not test it, assume it is defective (Ford must have had a bad batch of valves).

The check valve is VERY easy to access and replace.

My vehicle was still covered under the warranty, and my crack Ford dealership was unable to duplicate the noise - although they kept the truck for one week. When I picked it up and drove it home, the noise was still present.

I did an internet search and found the initial TSB. I bought the part at a different dealership and replaced it myself (the part’s employee said they kept them in stock, as they replaced so many of them).

rslynes

Reaction score
Depending on how many miles it has, the rear differential fluid might need replacing too. It gets thick with high mileage (~80-100K+) and the fluid replacement eliminates the 'growl' that is sometimes heard, especially the first few miles before the fluid warms up.

Some folks also add friction modifier to the new fluid, but I'm not absolutely certain I'd want to do that.

OP
OP
night vision

night vision

Reaction score
Depending on how many miles it has, the rear differential fluid might need replacing too. It gets thick with high mileage (~80-100K+) and the fluid replacement eliminates the 'growl' that is sometimes heard, especially the first few miles before the fluid warms up.

Some folks also add friction modifier to the new fluid, but I'm not absolutely certain I'd want to do that.
The 2017 has 36,777 miles as shown in the video. My 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer does have the issue in the rear as you mentioned. It has 111,000 miles. I have yet to address both vehicles...so much going on.