Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife has been complaining the last few weeks that about the suspension on our 2010 Ford Expedition Limited 2WD with 202,000 miles and 24'' rims (295/35/24). The complain is that the steering wheel rocks or wobble back and forth over 60 mph and that the truck rides rough over on freeway at times. So like the good husband I'm I take the truck out for a test drive and she is right the steering wheel does move back and forth and the ride feels rough on the freeway.I take the truck to my local American Tire Depot and have them redo the tire balance, so we test drive the truck and steering wheel still rocks or wobble back and forth, so then they rotate the tires and redo the balance and we test drive it again same thing steering wheel rocks or wobble back and forth and rough ride over 60 mph on freeway.

I then tell them let me go home and get my factory wheels 20'' (275/55/20) and put new tires on them. So I buy UNIROYAL TIGER TOURING A/S. They mount and balance them and we go again for test ride on freeway and the damn steering wheel still rocks or wobble back and forth over 60 mph. So we go back and guy said maybe the alignment is off. I said I just had the alignment check 2 months ago at Firestone and show the paper work. He recommends to go back and have alignment done again. So I go back to Firestone since I have lifetime alignment and they tell me the alignment is fine after checking it.

I then go home and start checking all the suspension components to see if anything is loose and going over everything again with the air gun and nothing is loose. So here is some back story on all the parts I replaced 1 yr ago (Motorcraft lower ball joint both sides, Moog upper control arm both sides, KYB GR2 struts in front and KYB GR2 shocks in rear, Motorcraft front stabilizer bar, Motorcraft front sway bar bushing, Motorcraft rear sway bar bushing, Motorcraft outer tie rod end links) and over the weekend I replaced (Motorcraft steering shaft assembly, New front rotors and Powerstop Z36 Ceramic Carbon Fiber pads) since it had some play in it. I then reached out to a friend of mine that works for Ford and took it to his dealership and had them check everything again for me. They test drove it and they don't know why the steering wheel rocks or wobble back and forth. They even redid the balance and road forced balanced them and still the samething. I'm at a lost now and wanted to see if anyone has some ideals I might have missed.

It's alot to read, but I would appreciate the help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It shakes just like this and I don't have a clue why. I was thinking about changing out the wheel hubs or the engine mounts to see if it is engine vibration transfering through the steering column.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shakes just like this and I don't have a clue why. I was thinking about changing out the wheel hubs or the engine mounts to see if it is engine vibration transfering through the steering column.
This happened to me and I needed new hubs... fixed my prob and I have 26s for last 8 yrs

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happened to me and I needed new hubs... fixed my prob and I have 26s for last 8 yrs

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you. I ordered new hub/wheel bearing on friday and it should have it by Tuesday and will update you. Thanks again

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

So I replaced the front and rear wheel hub/bearing and the vibration in the steering wheel and shaking has gone away. I also did rear differential fluid change along with the slip yoke and the small bang I would get when taking off and hard stop is gone also. I appreciate a the help.

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also did the front lower control arms as well this weekend. The truck was driving like new before I did the slip yoke, but I did it anyway just as a route maintenance.