Vinegar-like smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about putting it on recirculate just before shutting it off? This way there are no open vents to the outside air. Not sure if this is how the system works but maybe worth a try.
I'm of the belief that when the ac is running it should be on recirculate as it is not trying to reduce the temp of outside air and you avoid most of the pollen.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the vinegar smell, first GET RID OF YOUR AIR/SMELL FRESHENER. Yes, get rid of that smell tree, the thing from bed bath & beyond, or any other smell inducing thing.

Then run the fan only on max, no AC, no recirculate, with windows open for couple of hours if possible. If you use the AC, turn the Compressor off couple of minutes before reaching your destination and leave it on fan-only to get rid of that cold wet air in the evaporator.

That is how I get rid of the vinegar smell. It keeps coming back every now and then, especially after pizza or other food stays in the cabin for some time.

buffy

Reaction score
I have a 2016 with the exact problem. It is clearly Acetic Acid smell. It's very distinctive. We have no cabin filters in the 3rd generations. It comes and goes. It's typically a byproduct of fermentation, so something is cooking.