Violent shake/shudder when downshifting/overtaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this just started to happen last week. I went to overtake and put my foot down hard on the gas, all of a sudden the car violently shook/shuddered and the revs shot up but the car didnt move, just kept on moving as if i had put the car in neutral. Then after about a second or 2 in went back to normal.

It felt as if i have downshifted to first gear then went into neutral, so basically felt like engine braking.
Now this has happened a few times but not a violent.
On top of this i also went to overtake this morning and the revs went right up but without an increase in power, so basically felt like the clutch was slipping.

I assume its related o the transmission and/or clutch.

Anyone got any ideas?

Its a 2008 xlt btw

cheers
Phill

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they make an Expedition with a manual transmission?

Hitting the throttle and only reving the engine without any or very little increase in speed sure sounds like a worn clutch.

Also, just in case...

From Google... What are the signs of a bad torque converter?
It can be difficult to pin point a transmission problem as an issue with the torque converter but there are some tell tale signs you should be aware of. Symptoms of a bad torque converter include overheating, slipping, shuddering, dirty fluid, high stall speeds, or strange noises.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At being around 9 years old, I would expect 150,000+ miles on the clock. Transmission time if the fluid level is correct.

Due to your location, what are your options for an overhaul?

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they make an Expedition with a manual transmission?

Hitting the throttle and only reving the engine without any or very little increase in speed sure sounds like a worn clutch.

Also, just in case...

From Google... What are the signs of a bad torque converter?
It can be difficult to pin point a transmission problem as an issue with the torque converter but there are some tell tale signs you should be aware of. Symptoms of a bad torque converter include overheating, slipping, shuddering, dirty fluid, high stall speeds, or strange noises.

Not As far as i Know lol

i was thinking that as i do sit in traffic everyday for at least an hour, i try my best to keep it in neutral but most of the time it's in drive with my foot on the brake.

The odd thing is it only seems to happen when it downshifts by 2 gears, dropping one gear doesnt seem to make any difference.

Thanks for the helps, i'll have to take in into the garage after the christmas holidays

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At being around 9 years old, I would expect 150,000+ miles on the clock. Transmission time if the fluid level is correct.

Due to your location, what are your options for an overhaul?

Yeah its got about 141000miles on the clock, i'm sure the transmission oil was changed within the last year at the dealer but i'm not sure of the exact date.

There are plenty of garages out here that can do it for a reasonable price. But the skill level of those guys are not good, like i trusted them with replacing my condenser but i'm not sure about more integral parts. My best option would probably be to go to Ford and then i can imagine i'm looking a fair chunk of change

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought my tranny had an issue and it was a misfire shortly ago, but way different symptoms though. The 6 speed trannys of today aren’t great compared to the old 4 speed for reliability.

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Sounds like a torque converter shudder, I had a brand new converter installed on my 05 when the transmission was replaced. After a few hundred miles it started that. Take your foot off the gas to allow the converter to unlock prior to accelerating. If the symptoms are gone then, it's the converter or contaminants in the converter.

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a torque converter shudder, I had a brand new converter installed on my 05 when the transmission was replaced. After a few hundred miles it started that. Take your foot off the gas to allow the converter to unlock prior to accelerating. If the symptoms are gone then, it's the converter or contaminants in the converter.

Thanks for the info Boose, just out of curiosity how much did the converter replacement cost and also the transmission?
I've just noticed that everything seems to be fine provided that the gear change happens under 4000rpm, so normal change/ moving a little quick.

Also there seems to be no problem with speed, as i can sit doing 140k and everything is fine and the gear changes are ok, its just when i need to overtake quickly or merge into traffic quickly.

I'm dreading to hear what the dealer is going to say lol

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
lol I hear ya... As my transmission was shot, the new torque converter was part of the fix. the reman Jasper transmission, torque converter, new shift cable and labor went for $3,600.00. If you transmission is fine (no delay when you put it in gear, shifts clean etc.) I'd say do a full trans fluid change and see if there were contaminates in the converter. If you let your foot off prior to down shifting, does the shudder go away?