Vista Roof Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I started to notice a slight rattle in the panoramic Vista roof on our 2018 Exp Platinum MAX 4x4 at around 7000 miles on the odometer. The rattle has since grown to be much louder and frequent. While at the dealer last week, they were able to replicate it but couldn't isolate it. They greased the rubber seals around the glass but the issue has only gotten worse.

The rattle is only present with the sunroof glass closed. The rattle is not present with the sunroof open, or in the vent position.

Upon searching, there are numerous topics around F-150 Vista sunroof rattles. Some point to greasing the rubber seals around glass (done that). Others point to metal clips that hold up the rear, fixed panel. However, upon looking at this issue closer, the clips they use on the F-150 are different than the ones on the Expy.

Just thought I'd share because something tells me others with the Vista roof will soon begin noticing the same issue.

Other than that, the truck has been absolutely great. Hauled a family of 7 last weekend 1200 miles roundtrip to Montreal and back and everyone complimented the comfort, comparing it to a jetliner.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I started to notice a slight rattle in the panoramic Vista roof on our 2018 Exp Platinum MAX 4x4 at around 7000 miles on the odometer. The rattle has since grown to be much louder and frequent. While at the dealer last week, they were able to replicate it but couldn't isolate it. They greased the rubber seals around the glass but the issue has only gotten worse.

The rattle is only present with the sunroof glass closed. The rattle is not present with the sunroof open, or in the vent position.

Upon searching, there are numerous topics around F-150 Vista sunroof rattles. Some point to greasing the rubber seals around glass (done that). Others point to metal clips that hold up the rear, fixed panel. However, upon looking at this issue closer, the clips they use on the F-150 are different than the ones on the Expy.

Just thought I'd share because something tells me others with the Vista roof will soon begin noticing the same issue.

Other than that, the truck has been absolutely great. Hauled a family of 7 last weekend 1200 miles roundtrip to Montreal and back and everyone complimented the comfort, comparing it to a jetliner.

Review the Ford item dated July 2, 2018: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/...TENDED%2520SUV/4x2#manufacturerCommunications

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you, that's very useful. I would think the dealer would know better and searched for this themselves. Trekking back there and dropping it off for a day is a pain in the butt.

Appreciate the links. I'll print it in case they "can't find the bulletin" in their system again.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you, that's very useful. I would think the dealer would know better and searched for this themselves. Trekking back there and dropping it off for a day is a pain in the butt.

Appreciate the links. I'll print it in case they "can't find the bulletin" in their system again.

Good luck - At least you will be prepared and they will know you are serious about a repair.

This summer I took my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 to the selling dealer because it began grinding / growling when driving uphill in 2WD (when the engine began to bog and the transmission began to downshift).

Diagnosis: Unable to duplicate. The power train and the Ford premium care extended warranty was in effect.

The noise was present when driving home. I did an online search, and quickly found a Ford TSB describing the condition. It stated to consider an IWE vacuum check valve the root cause. I bought a new, correct Motorcraft check valve, installed it in 5 minutes, and it eliminated the noise (which was the AWD / 4WD system engaging in the front wheels when the engine vacuum dropped.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I dropped it off at the dealer this evening and the service tech immediately told me that my VIN doesn’t come up as affected under the bulletin. I told him it’s an $82k truck, brand new, and fits the symptoms of the problem word-for-word. I’m not taking it back for fear of front differential locking up with four little kids on board. I suggested he contact Ford corporate but unless the issue is resolved they can keep the truck.

His tone changed thereafter.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I dropped it off at the dealer this evening and the service tech immediately told me that my VIN doesn’t come up as affected under the bulletin. I told him it’s an $82k truck, brand new, and fits the symptoms of the problem word-for-word. I’m not taking it back for fear of front differential locking up with four little kids on board. I suggested he contact Ford corporate but unless the issue is resolved they can keep the truck.

His tone changed thereafter.

Good luck - I hope you get this resolved.

I’ve been buying cars (and many new cars) for 40+ years. It has been my experience that the modern dealer technician no longer has the ability to trouble-shoot. If there’s not a code or a TSB - they are baffled.

It is often an inconvenience to return a new vehicle for repair, sometimes repeatedly. Many dealers seem oblivious to this and try to make the owner feel as though they are making-up the problem.

Good luck again.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do hope they get it fixed, but I have to ask....

In your OP you state that your rattle is only when closed.

The link provided specifies issues while the roof is in operation - cut & paste: binding/sticking, glass stuck open or closed, noisy operation including chatter, rattling, or grinding.

Outside of being vista roof related, I don't see how your noise-while-closed issue is relevant to the while-in-operation TSB. Which calls for replacing the track.

There are well over 3,000 Ford dealerships in the US, so if this dealer can't resolve, take your business elsewhere.

Just curious, was this noise present before your truck was side-swiped and subsequently repaired? I'm trying to mentally recall the pictures. Maybe something was knocked out of kilter that the dealership body shop could put an eye on.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll report back on what the dealer tech says. Truck's been at the dealership for three days now, and they're just now getting around to looking at it. Days like this I wish I went with the Navi instead. Lincoln dealership here will pick your vehicle up and drop off a loaner for any and every service visit.

Live and learn.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll report back on what the dealer tech says. Truck's been at the dealership for three days now, and they're just now getting around to looking at it. Days like this I wish I went with the Navi instead. Lincoln dealership here will pick your vehicle up and drop off a loaner for any and every service visit.

Live and learn.

I’ve had poor service too.

This summer, when I called to make an appointment for my Expedition for the Works oil service and the front grinding noise, the first appointment was 10 days out. I made the appointment for a Monday morning, and used night drop off Sunday.

When I called on Wednesday evening, the vehicle was still sitting. I was told they were “backed-up”, even though I had made an appointment, and bought the vehicle new and extended warranty there. Didn’t have the courtesy to call me and tell me of the delay.

It was worked on Friday afternoon (unable to duplicate noise, but mileage was the same as drop-off). Oil change done.

I stopped going to that dealership and last week went to a different one for the Works oil change. I took the vehicle home and when I walked back out to get in it later, I could see a large air baffle hanging down under the engine. I had to return to the dealership to have it replaced. I’ve undergone several major surgeries and can no longer do most vehicle maintenance.

Now, I’ve got to find another Ford dealer service department. I don’t think many car dealers realize that the service department will drive away customers with poor service, or have them return and buy additional vehicles there due to the good service.

Good luck.

PS - You’re right about buying a Lincoln, due to the good service. I would never buy another new Ford based upon the poor service I’ve received.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience with Lincoln has been absolutely fabulous. My dealership is a smaller one so I don’t know what a larger one would be like, although I’ve read they are much fancier and have a larger selection of loaners. But as mentioned above, I can call in the morning and have same day pick up. Once they offered to meet me at the playground I was at with my two kids to exchange vehicles in the parking lot, I really didn’t expect that.