VSS output sensor location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkeexpbeast

Reaction score
I have a 2001 xlt 4X4 with a 5.4 motor.I am reasonably sure I have a 4R100 tranny.My odometer goes out from time to time.My cruise does not work and my fuel mileage was 10mpg at last fillup.This leads me to think I need a VSS sensor.Can someone give me very precise directions on where this is on the tranny.Honestly I crawl under there and get lost.THX

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The rear output shaft speed sensor (4wd) is located on the transfer case just to the left of the rear driveshaft. There is also one for the front driveshaft hidden behind the shift motor.

OP
OP
R

rkeexpbeast

Reaction score
Is this (pic) the speed sensor

Yes I'm lost I admit it.It doesn't look like the pic from advance auto

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 11,641
Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yes I'm lost I admit it.It doesn't look like the pic from advance auto

The photo is of the rear output shaft sensor.

The output shaft speed sensor is different on 2wd vs 4wd. There is also a turbine shaft sensor located at the top front of the tranny but believe the output shaft is actually used to determine vehicle speed.

The turbine shaft sensor tells the pcm the input shaft speed on the tranny post converter.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Does your speedometer work?

If your speedometer works I would say your looking in the wrong direction and its something else. I believe it would also set a code if the speed sensor failed as it is used for trans shift logic.

Are you saying the display on the odometer goes out? This is common and is a bad solder joint in the instrument cluster. Cruise control and fuel mileage are most likely unrelated to the odometer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rkeexpbeast

Reaction score
Continued...

1-Speedometer works
2-Odometer goes out very irregularly
3-Cruise doesnt work at all
4-I think it shifts a bit slow from 2-3 my brother in law says it is a normal ford thing.I think it hangs a bit in 2nd
5-10 mpg at last fill.Bad even for a 4wd expedition 5.4L
6.Mechanic friend from work listed some of these symptoms when i said my speed sensor may be going bad
7-BTW the the end cap of the shifter was off when i bought it.this is suspicious now. OD light has flashed a couple times but not after i had a flush and fill

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Odometer fix:

Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

As far as I can tell the pcm uses the rear output shaft speed sensor to determine vehicle speed and if your speedo works so should your odometer. Bad solder joint in the instrument cluster causes it to "light up" intermittently but it still keeps track of miles.

You sound convinced replacing the vehicle speed sensor (generic term) will take care of the issue but I personally feel its a waste of time and money. But this is based on my interpretation of your post.

First thing to check on the cruise control is the cable to the throttle and fuse. There is self diagnostic feature built in to the cruise control but you must know the sequence of buttons to push along with cranking the ignition key. It may tell you where the fault lies.

If you are interested I may be able to take pic from the ford shop manual and post so you can try the self diagnostics. Too lazy to type all of it myself.

OP
OP
R

rkeexpbeast

Reaction score
continued...

Toms89 your patience with a noob is amazing and appreciated.I edited my last post about the same time as your last post did you see the part about the removed end of the shifter knob right where the od button is.