Wanting to add a power inverter to the expy. Anyone done this? Show off your installs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
I've got a 2003 EB 4x4 that I really enjoy.
Thus far I've upgraded the speakers and Installed a Rockford Fosgate Power series 400 watt (100x4 2ohm) to power the Infinity Kappa 682.11CF in my doors. The amp is under the center console. I've removed the cigarette lighter as I dont smoke and replaced it with a two port USB quick charge setup with volt meter. I've added a second set of USB ports to the passenger side next to the factory power port and added 2 more USB ports to the rear so my kids can charge their stuff back there. Got a leveling/lift kit installed etc etc...
I'm in the process now of retrofitting the factory DVD player back into the truck. Will be making it where the DVD player will play and the audio will come through just the headphone jacks on the back of the center console. Once I get all of the wiring sorted out I'll post up a guide for that.
Anyways since this thing is becoming pur road trip/camping/end of the world vehicle I'm now gonna be tearing out the rear panels to upgrade the factory subwoofer but while I'm in there I'm REALLY wanting to install a power inverter back there behind the panel and setup a few 3 AC ports in the vehicle to power various things. I'll also be adding a 250 or 300 plus amp alternator as well. Anyways if you've installed a large (say...1100-1500 plus watt) inverter post up your pictures please. I'd like to see how you mounted it? Ran the cables etc etc. Also if you've mounted a second battery with an isolator...especially if you've got a switch to bypass the isolator so you can use the second battery to start the truck in case the main one dies. Well I'd like to see it all please!!!
Oh and for ***** and grins...if you've installed a cell phone repeater/range extender I'd love to see it too!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I havent done this yet in mine but it's on the list, along with the rear USB and HDMI and additional 12v ports. We have the same vehicle.

My plan was to run a pure sine 800w inverter (just for convenience, no specific purpose) and utilize the space where the cut off switch for air ride would be to be where the outlets will be found. Mounting would be behind the panel where the factory sub is.

The power run was going to be 4ga wire ran to the back as if I were installing a sub amp. I planned to use a distribution block to feed power to inverter as well as to a 6 circuit fuse panel to allow me to run dedicated power runs to the USB and 12v outlets that I will be running to the 3rd row area for the kids and a 2nd 12v outlet in the cargo area that will handle 30A for flexibility on what I can run. Wireless charging is to be integrated into 3 difference surfaces throughout the vehicle as well.

As far as control my initial thoughts were to install a small switch bank where the ash tray up front would be. Not a smoker as well and it's just empty space. That would complicate the wiring a bit but allow control by me so kids don't leave things on. A second battery wasnt in the plan due to space concerns and I'd like to still be able to start my vehicle.

I am skipping the overhead video as the kids either have nefix downloaded or digital copies of essentially our entire video collection on their tablets already. We use the hotspot from phones to feed the tablets when needed which is rare anymore being they have 128GB memory cards in them, it's mostly just for games that require data. I have bounced around the idea of doing headrest monitors and installing a FireTV in my console but that's not too important as the middle row riders are still too young to care. I have a pioneer 4500 in dash that gives me quite a few options for media.

I have no plans for a cell booster but the WeBoost 4G-X is a nice solution with a small footprint. Its roughly 5x6 and 1.5" thick. Its 12v so easy to power and if you have the ability to do all of this it should be child's play. I havent lowered the head liner but depending on much real estate your dvd setup takes you may have enough space up there to conceal it in the roof area. If not it relies on an interior and exterior antenna setup that allows for several placement options, the center console would be feasible as well.

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
I havent done this yet in mine but it's on the list, along with the rear USB and HDMI and additional 12v ports. We have the same vehicle.

My plan was to run a pure sine 800w inverter (just for convenience, no specific purpose) and utilize the space where the cut off switch for air ride would be to be where the outlets will be found. Mounting would be behind the panel where the factory sub is.

The power run was going to be 4ga wire ran to the back as if I were installing a sub amp. I planned to use a distribution block to feed power to inverter as well as to a 6 circuit fuse panel to allow me to run dedicated power runs to the USB and 12v outlets that I will be running to the 3rd row area for the kids and a 2nd 12v outlet in the cargo area that will handle 30A for flexibility on what I can run. Wireless charging is to be integrated into 3 difference surfaces throughout the vehicle as well.

As far as control my initial thoughts were to install a small switch bank where the ash tray up front would be. Not a smoker as well and it's just empty space. That would complicate the wiring a bit but allow control by me so kids don't leave things on. A second battery wasnt in the plan due to space concerns and I'd like to still be able to start my vehicle.

I am skipping the overhead video as the kids either have nefix downloaded or digital copies of essentially our entire video collection on their tablets already. We use the hotspot from phones to feed the tablets when needed which is rare anymore being they have 128GB memory cards in them, it's mostly just for games that require data. I have bounced around the idea of doing headrest monitors and installing a FireTV in my console but that's not too important as the middle row riders are still too young to care. I have a pioneer 4500 in dash that gives me quite a few options for media.

I have no plans for a cell booster but the WeBoost 4G-X is a nice solution with a small footprint. Its roughly 5x6 and 1.5" thick. Its 12v so easy to power and if you have the ability to do all of this it should be child's play. I havent lowered the head liner but depending on much real estate your dvd setup takes you may have enough space up there to conceal it in the roof area. If not it relies on an interior and exterior antenna setup that allows for several placement options, the center console would be feasible as well.

You and I are planning to use the air ride cut off for the same purposes, and I'll be wanting a pure sine setup as well....I see no reason not to use one in todays day and age.

The factory overhead DVD is honestly more for me than the kids. I absolutely HATE shit that doesnt work So when I swapped headunits I knew the thing would die. And I have note found a new unit thatll fit in the housing and stuff to upgrade. So I'm determined to make the factory unit fi action again one way or another ha ha. My kids can use their portable DVD players or their tablets as well same as yours does.

And I'll look into the weboost setup Thank ya!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
.....I'm in the process now of retrofitting the factory DVD player back into the truck. Will be making it where the DVD player will play and the audio will come through just the headphone jacks on the back of the center console. Once I get all of the wiring sorted out I'll post up a guide for that.

Kryo I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in or not. But when my original factory rear entertainment system DVD player died I found it very difficult ( Ok, impossible...) to find a replacement 12-pin DVD player to replace the stock one. So I ended up getting a later model 20-pin ( in the correct color...) and making up a swap harness that would mate the 20-pin DVD plug to the Expy's 12-pin harness plug. I bought a new pair of IR headphones for the passengers in back to listen with, and all is well again in the garage. The later model DVD players used infra red headphones instead of the hard wired jacks. It's actually worked out better because they're not tied to the back of the center console anymore. The DVD player doesn't pipe sound through the Expy's speakers, which for me is an added bonus ... If I remember right, the total cost for the plugs was less than $30 .
The pin outs are available online.

UZUDGA.jpg

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Kryo I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in or not. But when my original factory rear entertainment system DVD player died I found it very difficult ( Ok, impossible...) to find a replacement 12-pin DVD player to replace the stock one. So I ended up getting a later model 20-pin ( in the correct color...) and making up a swap harness that would mate the 20-pin DVD plug to the Expy's 12-pin harness plug. I bought a new pair of IR headphones for the passengers in back to listen with, and all is well again in the garage. The later model DVD players used infra red headphones instead of the hard wired jacks. It's actually worked out better because they're not tied to the back of the center console anymore. The DVD player doesn't pipe sound through the Expy's speakers, which for me is an added bonus ... If I remember right, the total cost for the plugs was less than $30 .
The pin outs are available online.

UZUDGA.jpg

That actually gives me another option. I've thought about the IR unit from the newer expys as an option as well and then just modding things to make em work. A standalone harness would make life easier. The reason I'm wanting to reuse the console plugs is because of volume control (the IR units would resolve this as well). But I'm also wanting the challenge of making things work when I've been told no one has done it. Kinda like right now I'm rebuilding and retrofitting Lightning third brake lights with brighter LEDS for the brake as well as a flasher unit etc. I rather enjoy messing with electronics stuff and making it work. I've got access to the Ford Dealers online everything manual for these trucks which makes things a little easier but I'd be curious to know what you did for that harness? Did you combine wires? Move positions?

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Shit this also reminds me that I need to install my Idatalink Maestro SW lmao. I completely forgot about that damned thing. So time to dig up the wiring diagrams for that next lmao.

Seems my list of shit to do keeps growing. I also need to RIP off all of the EB body kit crap and have that bed lined ....and then I gott rip off the front and rear bumpers to bed line those as well.
So glad winter time in Texas is nonexistent so I can get all this done

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got the pin out diagrams online and spliced the wiring to where it needed to go. I'll try to relocate the links for the pin outs. It was pretty straightforward, as the difference was just some extra un-needed pins slid to one end. There's actually much nicer aftermarket DVD units available if you don't mind black. The factory DVD player's screen is very tiny compared to today's standards. Oh, and if your Expy is a late production '03 or newer you might already have the 20-pin harness in the roof already. Mine is an early production date Expy and it had the old 12-pin carried over. Well, it's 20-pin now anyway LOL....

GbPiDM.jpg

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
I just got the pin out diagrams online and spliced the wiring to where it needed to go. I'll try to relocate the links for the pin outs. It was pretty straightforward, as the difference was just some extra un-needed pins slid to one end. There's actually much nicer aftermarket DVD units available if you don't mind black. The factory DVD player's screen is very tiny compared to today's standards. Oh, and if your Expy is a late production '03 or newer you might already have the 20-pin harness in the roof already. Mine is an early production date Expy and it had the old 12-pin carried over. Well, it's 20-pin now anyway LOL....

GbPiDM.jpg

My 03 is an early production 03 build date 15 August 2002 and I've been finding things online that dont match my truck so I've been going through the fmcdealer stuff to get everything cleared up and make my life easier.

No need for the links I've got access to
Fmcdealer.com for pin outs and stuff which is great. However I'm having to track down what each wire does between different plugs and stuff to make one "master" sheet that makes life easy. Right now I'm going through the big ass plug in the center console that screws down. I'm literally going through each pin and labeling what wire goes to what system etc.
I have no issue with an aftermarket roof mounted unit in black if need be but I'm just wanting to get everything hooked up nicely.
Heck if I cant get the factory back panel Jack's to function properly I'll build a small PCB with headphone Jack's and volume control to put in its place and build a new back plate for the Jack's and any other things I wanna add.

Like I said I know the factory one ain't the best. But I dont like things that dont work and having a dead player in the roof annoys the OCD in me so even if I never ever use it again...I want it to work lmao.

Asonthat reminds me i need to visit Ford and have them reflash my CCSM module for my heated seats so i can get em back to working.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357