Wanting your opinions on my idea for different forum layout.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I am thinking of changing up the category layout of this forum. I want it to be a little cleaner because as of now, its a little messy.

So right now, we do have sections for each generation and thats where I want to go with this, but as you can see, each gen forum has no sub forums. I want to take Engine and Performance, which is all ready there, but it has threads from every Gen in it. What I want to do is change that up. For example:

-Ford Expedition Generation Forum
--4th Gen : 2018 to Present
--- General Discussion
--- Engine & Performance
--- Suspension
--- Interior
--- Exterior
--- Audio & Electronics
--- Tech Info

--3rd Gen : 2007-2017
--- General Discussion
--- Engine & Performance
--- Suspension
--- Interior
--- Exterior
--- Audio & Electronics
--- Tech Info

--2nd Gen : 2003- 2006
--- General Discussion
--- Engine & Performance
--- Suspension
--- Interior
--- Exterior
--- Audio & Electronics
--- Tech Info

--1st Gen : 1997-2002
--- General Discussion
--- Engine & Performance
--- Suspension
--- Interior
--- Exterior
--- Audio & Electronics
--- Tech Info

So you can see, everything will be within its n generation, so people that own 4th gens won't have to scroll through question about 2nd gens. This has worked great on my other forums and it keeps it all organized and clean.

What do you think? Love to hear your opinions on it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps move that tiny icon on the bottom left of the current forum (which is used to change the dark to the light style) to the top of the reorganized forum - and make it more prominent.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps move that tiny icon on the bottom left of the current forum (which is used to change the dark to the light style) to the top of the reorganized forum - and make it more prominent.

That's a default location for it. I would have to tweak the whole skin. I will see what I can do. What do you think of the forum layout I mentioned about though.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a default location for it. I would have to tweak the whole skin. I will see what I can do. What do you think of the forum layout I mentioned about though.

I like the idea - and that each generation is organized the same way.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it’s a good idea to organize each generation but you could somehow separate the 15-17 gen 3’s in there own sub category? Their Ecoboost powertrains make them unique in the gen 3 category and have very little similarities under the hood with the 5.4 V8’s.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the idea, I honestly have just been posting everything in 4th gen even it probably belonged another section because I only wanted replies pertinent to my generation.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm kinda new so.... The proposed layout would result in less clutter and be easy to find what you're looking for. My only negative thought is that some of the more experienced members that may be able to provide useful responses might not even see the thread if it's outside the forum they tend to frequent.

I was recently looking for stereo threads for Gen 2's and I did have to filter through a lot of newer vehicle threads that were mostly not pertinent so I certainly understand the desire to break it up a bit.

macbox

Reaction score
Would there be a way to see all posts for each generation without having to go into a sub-forum? For example, the 1st gen forum isn't real busy, it would be nice to have an option to see all the posts without having to dig through the sub-forums.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would there be a way to see all posts for each generation without having to go into a sub-forum? For example, the 1st gen forum isn't real busy, it would be nice to have an option to see all the posts without having to dig through the sub-forums.

I'll see if someone has developed an add on for that, but I have never seen one that can do that yet. Might be one out there.