Water in #8 - Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I have an update on a year old post. It happened again, this time on #7. Manifold is bone dry and it hadn't rained in a couple of weeks. We went on a 200 mile trip on Saturday with no issues at all, I even had the Torque app up and watching for misfires, etc. as this is the wife's vehicle and I never know how it's been running. Sunday we get up to go to church, 20 minutes into the trip, its a dead miss on #7. I jump out and pull connector on the COP and injector to try and isolate and I can't figure it out. I was able to get it home by keeping the RPM's up, just not under heavy load.

I get home and pull the COP and the bottom inch on the boot was rusty brown looking. I get a mirror and peer down the tube and it looks like 1/2" of dirt compacted around the base of the plug. I got a wire and poked around at the dirt and blew out the tube. I pulled the plug using an impact, came out with 0 issues (I've still yet to break one). The base of the plug where the ceramic meets the metal looked rusty. Looking down to the tip and the ground strap it was brown and almost rusty with crud on it. I should have taken a picture, I still can if I dig through the trash. Either way, I replaced the plug SP-546 and replaced the boot with a good used one and buttoned it up.

I'm guessing it has to do with the weatherstripping. I'm temped to stick a sponge down there and check it from time to time.