water in tail lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am getting water in my tail lights, how do you fix this? New tail light? Change the little seal around the light socket?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure u have screws in that hold them...not sure how water is getting in

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am getting water in my tail lights, how do you fix this? New tail light? Change the little seal around the light socket?

If it were mine, what I would do is remove the housing, and rotate it around, looking for leaks. If you see water dripping out somewhere other than the socket hole, you have a bad seal or cracked plastic. If not, then it might be dripping down the harness into the housing. Any holes in the roof or tail gate?

Also is it both lights or just one?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has to be a crack somewhere so find it and fix or new tails

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were mine, what I would do is remove the housing, and rotate it around, looking for leaks. If you see water dripping out somewhere other than the socket hole, you have a bad seal or cracked plastic. If not, then it might be dripping down the harness into the housing. Any holes in the roof or tail gate?

Also is it both lights or just one?

Just on the drivers side..... no holes anywhere and all the screws are there. . I figure I will be buying a new one soon... just not high on my priority list right now. I did drill two holes in the back of the assembly where the water was sitting, im thinking that for now it should keep the water drained out

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Howdy Am3gross,

If you continue to experience this concern, I recommend having your Ford Dealer take a peek. You may locate one here.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Todd

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a silicon gasket seal that is on every light on the truck, they wear out after years of UV damage and the elements of mother nature. You can either attempt to pry the whole seal off and replace it with clear RTV, patch the leaks from the outside with RTV, or buy a new tail light. Redoing the whole seal works the best but getting the lens off the case is a pain in the ass so your better off trying to seal the leak from the out side using clear RTV.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the same problem and also drilled holes in the bottom of housing to drain out. There is a seal around the housing between it and the body, mine are worn/missing on the topside so it allows rain to enter or condensation occurs also. I just deal with the condensation and the holes I drilled keep it from collecting.