Weak air conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texevora

Reaction score
I have a '12 Expedition Limited, and for whatever reason my AC just does not get very cold. It is cool, but not cold. Here in Texas, it's been pushing 110 degrees, and if the car has been sitting in the parking lot, it takes a good 30 minutes of driving to get the interior comfortably cool.

I've had the R-134 pressures checked on both the high and low pressure ports, and both are right down the fairway.

Anyone have any idea on what else could be wrong?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '12 Expedition Limited, and for whatever reason my AC just does not get very cold. It is cool, but not cold. Here in Texas, it's been pushing 110 degrees, and if the car has been sitting in the parking lot, it takes a good 30 minutes of driving to get the interior comfortably cool.

I've had the R-134 pressures checked on both the high and low pressure ports, and both are right down the fairway.

Air conditioners are designed to produce a temperature difference of about 30 degrees F across the evaporator. If you're in recirc mode, and the temp is 100F, you will only get about 70F out of the vents. If you park in the shade, it'll eventually cool the car, but it takes time...all that heat energy stored in the air, the seats, the carpet...everything inside, has to be removed. If you're in the sun, the energy from the sun continues to add heat, and depending on the outside air temp, you may never get the car cooled.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score

I've found when it's really hot (like this summer, or driving across Nebraska in July) ... if I dont run a/c cooling in the rear , the front doesnt chill down to walk in cooler level. 2014 EL. It's white too which makes a big difference compared to my by black Rustbucket.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With R134a the low and high side pressures are pretty close to the temp of the components once the system is running and stabilized. I don't know of anyone that would be happy with a 50-60 degree evap temperature.

The pressure readings tell you how the system is performing - please post them if you have them read again.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Get some rain guards and start leaving your windows cracked. Keep in mind that at 110° ambient its significantly hotter inside a vehicle and in wouldn't be surprised if it took 30 minutes to cool off to comfortable.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was never happy with the performance of the A/C in my 2009 XLT and it was Silver Birch -- not a dark color at all. It just could not cool the truck if the outside temp was over about 85 degrees. Our trucks have a *lot* of glass and that causes solar heat gain. It's even worse if you have a moonroof. The only defense is buying a white truck. I also keep a sunshade in the windshield at all times when it's parked and that helps. The best thing in the world though is Remote Start so it can be cooling down before I get in it.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WASH THE BUGS and stuff out of your condenser coil.....I think it's mounted in front of the trans cooler or above....trans, radiator and condenser all need airflow....

run a hose over the coil and you should get dead cold air......as a system test......

jeff

hurseyc

Reaction score
I've found when it's really hot (like this summer, or driving across Nebraska in July) ... if I dont run a/c cooling in the rear , the front doesnt chill down to walk in cooler level. 2014 EL. It's white too which makes a big difference compared to my by black Rustbucket.

I’ve noticed the same thing with running the rear ac. Makes a huge difference but I don’t know why. 2010 limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeremy W

Reaction score
I've noticed my A/C varies temp when sitting vs accelerating/driving. It's annoying, but I'm in the PNW and the heat isn't unbearable for me to chase down the issue. I'll give the rear A/C trick a try and see if that changes anything. Have a 2007 Expy...