Weathertech mud flap protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just took delivery of a new 2019 Expedition Max Platinum a week ago to replace my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. I loved the Jeep and had planned to keep it "forever" since I had the lifetime max care warranty, but it just got too small for our needs. So now I'm rolling around in the bus.

In doing some further research I found the power running boards seem to be the Achilles heel that gives the most trouble, that also costs a frightening amount to fix, even if you do it yourself. So that got me thinking about mud flaps. I've never liked them, but if it saves me some $ in the long run I'll do it. So, I'm thinking about the Weathertech flaps. How well do they protect the motor and front linkage from snow and crud? How about just keeping crap off the top of the running board in general? Already the rest of the vehicle will be clean but the top of the running board will still have crap on it unless I wipe it down. Hoping these flaps will help durability and cleanliness.

Loving the vehicle so far; we had intended to get a Navigator L Reserve instead but since they are so hot there are no incentives for them, and finding one used is still a frightening proposition from a cost/mileage perspective. So we bought this new instead with the 0% for 72 months promo...

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Aaron

Sowie1701

Reaction score
I just bought the weathertech and they fit nicely with all the contours and have notches in the fronts to miss the running boards. They are only as wide as the tire so I think they do a good job of keeping dirt off the running boards but probably not much they can do about the Motor and linkage. They look more factory than the factory ones in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just took delivery of a new 2019 Expedition Max Platinum a week ago to replace my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. I loved the Jeep and had planned to keep it "forever" since I had the lifetime max care warranty, but it just got too small for our needs. So now I'm rolling around in the bus.

In doing some further research I found the power running boards seem to be the Achilles heel that gives the most trouble, that also costs a frightening amount to fix, even if you do it yourself. So that got me thinking about mud flaps. I've never liked them, but if it saves me some $ in the long run I'll do it. So, I'm thinking about the Weathertech flaps. How well do they protect the motor and front linkage from snow and crud? How about just keeping crap off the top of the running board in general? Already the rest of the vehicle will be clean but the top of the running board will still have crap on it unless I wipe it down. Hoping these flaps will help durability and cleanliness.

Loving the vehicle so far; we had intended to get a Navigator L Reserve instead but since they are so hot there are no incentives for them, and finding one used is still a frightening proposition from a cost/mileage perspective. So we bought this new instead with the 0% for 72 months promo...

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Aaron

I have the Weathertech mudflaps, and they are the best option available. That being said, rocks still get thrown underneath the front flaps and have nicked the finish on my rear wheels. In snowy weather, the slush, slop, cinders, etc still builds up on the running boards, linkage, motor, etc but probably less than it would without the mudflaps. Overall, the mudflaps certainly help, but you'll still be cleaning the running boards, linkage, etc at the car wash.

As a side note, you'll need to pay attention to the inside lower edge of the rear doors since they seem to collect a lot of crap on salty/snowy roads.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess for $80 I'll give them a go and see how they work out. I was hoping the reply was "yep, these protect the motor and linkage really well", but I suppose some protection is better than none at all.

How many have bought extended warranties from Ford? I didn't pull the trigger when I bought it because both extended warranties I've purchased in the past never got used. Spent $3K on extended warranty for my wifes Infiniti M45x and it expired before the transmission did, and the Grand Cherokee I never used the lifetime warranty I bought when it was new. But if these power running boards cost north of $2,000 to fix and they are a sure thing to fail, seems like the warranty may not be a bad buy.

Anywhere selling them online for less than any other dealers? Ziegler was selling the Mopar plans for a lot less than anyone else when I bought mine for the Jeep.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put them on too. They fit well and help a bit with dirt on the side of the vehicle. It doesn't eliminate it, but helps a bit. Installation was easy. Harder in he rear, but still not a big deal. BTW. I went from a Durango (GC with a third row) to the Expedition. No regrets.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have them on my expedition and like the look and fit, they definitely help keep the retracting step cleaner, but living in Texas I have not experienced any snow or Ice so no idea how well they hope with that, but they are definitely a lot better than not having any flaps (as supplied by Ford).

Gary

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm glad my Expedition has fixed running boards instead of powered.
I purposely purchased mine without the retracting running boards, lane keep assist, 360 camera, radar cruise control, etc. Those are all the things that easily break or go outand cost a fortune to repair/replace. Sometimes simpler is better.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power running boards make it much easier to get into our SUV. The fixed running boards would be much harder for her to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni