Weight Distribution Change and Bad ccd struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrparne

Reaction score
so I have about 12000 miles towing an 8000 lb TT. 2020 limited with ccd struts and heavy duty tow. So my question is my weight distribution (equalizer 4). Has been dialed in for about 11000 of those miles. Spent a ton of trips to cat scales and got it exactly where I wanted it. Haven’t touched it thousands of miles. Recently though I have noticed I have lost probably half of the weight distribution. The car is coming up on 46000 with easily 22000 miles towing travel trailers. Do you all think the ccd rear struts are going and not providing enough resistance? Normal driving just feels like a 45000 mile truck. Bouncy but not crazy. Would the ccd hide the flaws?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you mean by having lost half of the weight distribution? You mean you took another trip to the cat scale and the weight transferred is only 50% of what it had been? Or does the truck sag more than it used to?

OP
OP
Jrparne

Jrparne

Reaction score
Essentially yes to all of that. It’s appears as though it’s sagging more which is driving the nose up. It’s almost like the shocks have weakened if that makes sense. Haven’t changed the weight distribution in a long time so it’s the same angle. But the nose is up 3/4 of an inch. And rear seems closer to tire.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To my knowledge, ride height is determined by spring rate, not by damping. The struts provide dynamic dampening response, as CCD is not akin to air. I can't think of any reason why the ride height would be impacted by a failing strut. If you measured the fender drop/rise when you configured the WDH, you can re-measure and compare. Has anything been added to the camper since you originally set up the WDH?

OP
OP
Jrparne

Jrparne

Reaction score
thank you for responding. No in fact it has gotten lighter in the nose as confirmed by a tongue scale. We installed lithium and redid the battery location. Yeah maybe the springs are wearing over time. I check my historical heights and they have lowered 3/4 of an inch in the back.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you for responding. No in fact it has gotten lighter in the nose as confirmed by a tongue scale. We installed lithium and redid the battery location. Yeah maybe the springs are wearing over time. I check my historical heights and they have lowered 3/4 of an inch in the back.
Could something on the hitch itself be causing the issue? Perhaps the metal bars are fatiguing?

OP
OP
Jrparne

Jrparne

Reaction score
Hard saying. They are straight and I have the bars rated for 1200 lb tongue instead of 1000 and my tongue weight hovers around 800. I have access to a tongue weight scale. The equalizers are also very thick bars. I think the change is more related to the car. The majority of its 45000 is heavy duty towing(easily 25000 miles). I think things are worn out. We keep up on mx but I keep reading about people replacing shocks around this number. But I def could be wrong.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard saying. They are straight and I have the bars rated for 1200 lb tongue instead of 1000 and my tongue weight hovers around 800. I have access to a tongue weight scale. The equalizers are also very thick bars. I think the change is more related to the car. The majority of its 45000 is heavy duty towing(easily 25000 miles). I think things are worn out. We keep up on mx but I keep reading about people replacing shocks around this number. But I def could be wrong.
If the vehicle drives properly unladen it's not the struts. I replaced my rears last year and it was obvious they were done. The rear bounced all over going over bumps. Passengers could literally come out the seat if I hit a dip fast enough. If you're dissatisfied with the handling replace the rear struts. Otherwise move up a level on the trailer brackets and send more weight forwards.