Weight Distribution Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you figure out all your total trailer weights, you also need to know about weight distributing hitches (WDH).

A weight distribution system enables a tow vehicle to more effectively handle the tongue weight of a trailer by removing some of the load from the tow vehicle's rear axle and distributing it through the frame to the tow vehicle's front axle and the trailer's axle(s).

When are they required?

Check your owners manual for this information. Most manufacturers give thier tow rating and then say "when properly equipped". That usually means you have a factory towing package which may or may not include the following: hitch receiver, trans cooler, heavy duty battery and alternator, 4pin or 7pin wiring harness, a weight distrubution hitch, and sway control.

Also beware when buying a trailer so heavy, that your vehicle needs a WDH, then finding out that the trailer frame and tongue cannot accept the forces of a WDH. As a general rule of thumb, a trailer with a C channel tongue frame versus a box channel CAN'T take a WDH, but check with the trailer maker to be sure.

Without a WD system......

- The additional tongue weight on the back of your tow vehicle will cause the rear axle load to significantly increase. That causes your rear end to sag and make most tow vehicle/trailer combinations unlevel. The increase in weight may also exceed the axle's weight rating, and the heavy load on the receiver might exceed its rating.

- In addition to rear end sag the front axle load will be decreased. The decreased load on the front axle can cause a loss of steering control and braking difficulties.

With a WD system......

- Tow vehicle and trailer remain level. The weight of the tongue is properly displaced throughout both the front axle of your rig and the trailer axles. You will retain steering, braking, and traction. Thus have better control of your vehicle.

Note - When the WD system is engaged the actual tongue weight does not change. (Recommended tongue weight is from 10% to 15% of your trailers weight.)

Disadvantage? Added cost and a few minutes extra hitch up time.

Advantages? Less wear and tear on your vehicle, ans added safety for you, your family and all others on the road.

As I stated above, please consult your owner’s manual to determine if your vehicle and trailer are suited for a WD system

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Having your tow vehicle level is a symptom of proper weight distribution (with a WDH) not the goal.

The goal is equal weight on both axles and that's measured by equal suspension compression fore and aft. Yeah, the truck might be level, but eyeballing it isn't good enough.

Easiest place to measure suspension compression is at the wheel wells. If you have the air suspension you must turn it off when initially setting up a WDH or the rear will self level and your front axle will be light.

-- Chuck

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive always wondered about that. i have the eb with front and rear air. so i should turn off the air, load the trailer and connect to the truck. then connect load bars lastly turn on air ride? what if the rear end loses height from the bags deflating?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Turn the air suspension off when you adjust the WDH for equal weight transfer. It'll adjust any tiny bits out of level when switched back on. Once your settings are locked in you'll get the weight transfer with those settings so air on or off makes no difference when hooking up after that.

If you have a WDH with chain links you'll need to mark the setting so you can repeat.

A WDH like the Equal-i-zer needs no adjustment after it is set.

-- Chuck

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WD/Sway hitch

here is the hitch we own! We had an equal-i-zer before this, and got this...what a world of difference! If you ever towed and got sway, with a Hensley Arrow you will NEVER get sway! We have a 2009 28" TT and weighs about 6500 loaded, with my Hensley you would not know its there except for the extra weight pulling and stopping!

http://www.hensleymfg.com/

our Brake controller too:

http://www.brakecontroller.com/prodigy1.htm

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tihs is the WDH i use i have had very good luck with it
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

I am sorry for being ignorant on this....
Is an anti-sway hitch (like the equalizer) the same as a WDH?
When I look at their web site i see that it helps the swaying but I don't get how the tongue weight is now distributed to the front axle?

What am I missing here?

I have an 04 Expy EB with the tow package (7 pin) and I need to tow this big mother occasionally. I noticed that when it is hitched up, the rear of the Expy drops quite noticibly - my low beam turns into high beam :p

wrap-right01.jpg

Reaction score
yeah i believe i need one of these too. thanks for the useful information by the way, Just4fun. i'm trying to research as well since i'm thinking of getting a Weight Distribution Hitch for better traction and to improve stability should the need arise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357