Weird A/C clutch behavior...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xpedition99

Reaction score
I usually have my vents set to "Panel/Floor." I had noticed that the air coming out was considerably cooler than the outside air and seemed almost frigid, like the A/C was on. A few times I've switched it over to A/C and the air came out definitively colder, so I thought it was odd but didn't think too much of it. Today I did some testing and found that when the vents are switched to "Panel/Floor" the A/C clutch is actually engaging. If I turn the blend knob up it disengages. If I switch the vents over to "Panel" the clutch does not engage. I've never owned, driven or even heard of a vehicle that does this: the A/C clutch engaging when the A/C isn't turned on. Obviously this is also taking a toll on my MPGs.

Surely this isn't normal behavior? Would this be an issue with the switch/controls? ...that's the only thing I can figure.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Floor setting on mine, engages the AC compressor. Same thing on the Ford F450 I have driven for work. Dumb.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360