Weird problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok Guys i have a weird one. today while putting Acpro in the 2003 5.4l the expy died. no noises
no slow down just died like i shut it off. restarted it but it only ran for a few seconds.
tried to restart again no crank, no start. i do hear a click by the fuse box. but no crank. check battery voltage and its at 12.50v reset PCM no change. the anti theft light is normal. blinks every two seconds.

im lost i have no idea whats going on......... any ideas?

Thanks
Ray

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the top row of relays in the fuse box there at the passenger kick panel. The top right relay is the PCM relay. Pull that relay out and look at it's base. Do you see melted plastic? You can try swapping in one of the other two relays that are there along the top of the fuse box to see if you can get the Expy started. In the end you'll probably end up replacing the fuse box for a burnt up fuel pump relay ( which is soldered into the circuit board of the fuse box...). But usually the first signs of a failing fuel pump micro relay is the overheating and melted plastic on the PCM relay.
New fusebox here on Amazon....
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-3L1Z-14A068-AA-BOX-ASY-FUSE/dp/B000NS2B38

Burned up fuel pump micro relay on fuse box circuit board ....

J3Jm5r.jpg

JTsS4s.gif

Last edited:

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my truck hasnt done this yet 132k. but i been looking around like its a notoriois problem. should i remove it and get it fixed before it happens?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my truck hasnt done this yet 132k. but i been looking around like its a notoriois problem. should i remove it and get it fixed before it happens?

I think the early failure stage is presented as a cooked PCM relay. If your Expy still has the original fuse box in it, I would at least carry a spare relay in the glove box. The replacement fuse boxes were said to be upgraded, and I haven't heard of any replacement fuse boxes suffering the meltdown of the fuel pump micro relay or the PCM relay. The top three relays in the fuse box are the same part number, so in an emergency you can swap with those, since they're not critical system relays.

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THANKS. So i need to buy a ""Fuel Pump Relay""?

Do you happen to know how to diagnose a bad BCM? or the part number for replacement.

i had a windshield leak and the tech said that the Security Module was fried.

is the security module the same has the bcm?.

Plati

Reaction score
My mechanic said if I tried to preemptively replace all the parts that might break I would go broke so I repair things as they go bad. 2003XLT. I've never had an issue with that relay.

You can break things by taking them apart and fixing them , at least I do (usually).
If it aint broke don't fix it

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stopped by the local salvage yard and got several relays. swapped them all still no crank. my OBDII reader wont see the truck at all either. anyother ideas?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuel pump circuit is not part of the Can Bus so you will not get codes. You have to be careful when grabbing the sjb (smart junction box) from a junk yard as Ford made wiring changes during production.
There is a thread on here by Bedrck47 where he runs the member through installing a jumper to bypass the relay.
If you can solder, your current sjb is modifiable so that you can avoid paying big bucks for a simple relay.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
...If you can solder, your current sjb is modifiable so that you can avoid paying big bucks for a simple relay.
Yeah. I thought those relays were soldered in? How could you have swapped in the ones from junkyard? 2003's have 2 different SJB's too, right? Better to fix the one you have than put the wrong one in that wont work? I might be confused, happens a lot.

My guess is the ACPRO had nothing to do with the current problem … unless the hands arms and elbows dislodged a wire or connector or something vital while working in there. I've done that before and you attribute the problem to what you were working on - not your elbow. Its usually the elbow, just like the way I play basketball.

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hi, i swapped the PCM relay with several from the junk yard. i have the fuel pump relay jumped with a wire. i assumed i would at least get a attempt for the expy to crank, i got nothing, still with 12.3v at the battery. I wont get a chance to start back probing wires until tomorrow. my next step is to double check fuses and power to those fuses

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here in the south "crank" has slighly different meanings in the automotive field. Crank and crunk are used interchangeably also.

Is the starter engaging with the engine turning when trying to start?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze