Well, it’s happening again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headlines the last month or so are reminding me of the auto industries 2008 collapse. Inflated MSRP, wavering sales, mass layoffs, plants going idle. Ford and GM have already begun. And we’ve already set the tone, the GOVT will bail you out when you get into trouble. For those blaming tariffs, I laugh. This correction is a long time coming, and the beginning is here. A strong business can work with and around changing business landscape. We are seeing the auto makers are weak, as consumers aren’t buying new vehicles at these inflates prices. They yet again didn’t look forward and just crammed whatever through. The autos have pushed the envelope and got greedy yet again.... just food for thought.....what’s been on my mind.

Last edited:

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When a new truck can easily run $75000.00 MSRP, you have to expect an adjustment eventually. I have a wife, two kids, mortgage and monthly expenses. I'm a middle middle class, adult male, the target audience for these new truck, and there is no I could or would spend that much on a new truck when I can get one 2 years old for less then half of a new one.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The headlines the last month or so are reminding me of the auto industries 2008 collapse. Inflated MSRP, wavering sales, mass layoffs, plants going idle. Ford and GM have already begun. And we’ve already set the tone, the GOVT will bail you out when you get into trouble. For those blaming tariffs, I laugh. This correction is a long time coming, and the beginning is here. A strong business can work with and around changing business landscape. We are seeing the auto makers are weak, as consumers aren’t buying new vehicles at these inflates prices. They yet again didn’t look forward and just crammed whatever through. The autos have pushed the envelope and got greedy yet again.... just food for thought.....what’s been on my mind.

Your post is very interesting and you may be right on. Prices of these vehicles has to come down. Maybe then more people could afford them and we wouldn't need the layoff and plant closings.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well you can see the Koreans & Japanese are selling damn good cars and trucks for a realistic price compared to the big 3, and I'm not gonna lie even when everyone says SUVs are selling more the Japanese got this subject on lock with customer loyalty to the constantly seeking Rav-4, CRV, Pilot, Highlander and dont forget the two best selling minivans which seems Chrysler cant come close to the odyssey & sienna and to top it off they actually look good unlike what the big 3 are pushing out... theirs look like crap in comparison and what SUV's from them has stuck around to get its own loyalty crowd (beside the Wrangler)... none! they're always changing names hoping for the next big thing but the price vs quality... the imports have the upper hand and are the ones controlling the market in this segment.

Ps. Chevy is following in Ford's steps and cancelling the Volt, Cruz, Impala and all the Cadillac/Buick version of those shared platforms. They need more AWD wagons IMO, half of those crossovers are smaller than a civic inside and yet they have the same undercarriage clearance and storage capacity.... like wtf are they making nowadays?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with many of your points Habbibie

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading on some of these CUVs today such as the Buick Encore and Ford EcoSport. They have low power ratings and are very slow, worse cargo space than a car, worse gas mileage. What’s the point??

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
....and dont forget the two best selling minivans which seems Chrysler cant come close to the odyssey & sienna and to top it off they actually look good unlike what the big 3 are pushing out...

Where are you getting your data from? CNN?

2018 US numbers, Jan thru Oct:
#1 Caravan 132,045
#2 Pacifica 100,872
#3 Odyssey 87,692
#4 Sienna 74,227

2017 US numbers:
#1 Caravan 125,196
#2 Pacifica 118,274
#3 Sienna 111,489
#4 Odyssey 100,307

2016 US numbers:
#1 Sienna 127,791
#2 Caravan 125,375
#3 Odyssey 120,846
#4 Pacfica 61,525

In reality its South Korean Kia who is failing the most in this segment. Jan-Nov 2018 they've managed to find buyers for all of 15K Sedonas. In 2017 they sold 23,815 in the US. The Tesla Model S outsells them by ways of comparison.

You can get a Ford Transit Connect in a passenger version, but clearly Ford is marketing these as cargo haulers almost exclusively. If nothing else they outsell the Kia.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
What I find most interesting is how they sell cars with 72-80 months financing yet half of them aren't designed to surpass 5 years of ownership without major repairs

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Where are you getting your data from? CNN?

2018 US numbers, Jan thru Oct:
#1 Caravan 132,045
#2 Pacifica 100,872
#3 Odyssey 87,692
#4 Sienna 74,227

2017 US numbers:
#1 Caravan 125,196
#2 Pacifica 118,274
#3 Sienna 111,489
#4 Odyssey 100,307

2016 US numbers:
#1 Sienna 127,791
#2 Caravan 125,375
#3 Odyssey 120,846
#4 Pacfica 61,525

In reality its South Korean Kia who is failing the most in this segment. Jan-Nov 2018 they've managed to find buyers for all of 15K Sedonas. In 2017 they sold 23,815 in the US. The Tesla Model S outsells them by ways of comparison.

You can get a Ford Transit Connect in a passenger version, but clearly Ford is marketing these as cargo haulers almost exclusively. If nothing else they outsell the Kia.

For every 1 Pacifica I see 5 sienna's & 10 odyssey's. The vast majority of the caravans are fleet owned and operated, it's far easier to get approved for a domestic brand than an import as far as fleet ownership goes.

Also when was the last time you've seen a 10+ year old caravan? I see 1000's of sienna's & odysseys that are well over the 10 year age mark, brand loyalty is very evident here, I've never met anyone in my life that spoke highly of caravans like they do for their Japanese counterparts