What’s considered high mileage on a Gen3 expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHolden

Reaction score
I am just wondering what is considered an average lifespan of a Expedition? I have heard 300k is considered good.

Interested to hear what you guys think?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many vehicles achieve 300,000 miles plus but maintenance and upkeep are the biggest deciding factors. I believe they are designed for 300,000 on the powertrain. There is a guy on the forum with 500,000 on his 2005 all original.

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
That’s interesting, I didn’t realize they had a design life.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s interesting, I didn’t realize they had a design life.

This is a rule of thumb that a mechanical engineer told me once:

Everything has a design life, and then if anything is ever said the stated design life is 65-75% of that. Engineers design it to last 300k, and will label it 200k. Generally your best extended warranty from the dealer will be about 50% of that. So since Ford offers 100k extended warranty, they probably expect it to last around 200k, but designed it to theoretically hit 300k. There are caveats such as good maintenance habits. For example your extended warranty with Ford is void if you don't keep up in regular maintenance.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I go by the general rule of 12k-15k miles a year anything more than the 15k a year I consider it high milege

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends if the miles were highway or city. I've heard that 100,000 highway is equal to 10,000 city miles. Although that may be exaggerated. Regular maintenance also plays a big part.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low mileage is often worse than high mileage I will add on an older truck. Lack of use is no good for anything on the vehicle.
Yep. I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with 60k miles on it. Sat in my grandma's garage for about 4 years until she died and I took it 2 years ago.

There's not a fluid it doesn't leak. Except gas.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've found that my Fords are fairly trouble free for the first 12 years and 140K miles. Then I may see some typical part replacements like a starter, alternator, steering pump -- stuff like that. At 15 years and 175K miles, I've replaced rusty transmission lines, broken ball joints, steering boxes. Getting into 215K miles, you may see catalytic converters, exhaust manifolds, head gaskets...

The published "design life" of the modern American car appears to be about 150K, which, as Dorzak said above, probably equates to an engineered life of about 225K miles. After that, you seem to be working on the thing every day, and as the thing the Ford gets older, quality replacement parts become harder to get and stuff you replaced two years ago is breaking again.

The lower quality smaller 4 cylinder cars and *** imports really tend to fall apart after that 150K mark and are just aren't designed for easy service.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to disagree with your statement on the lower quality *** imports. Consumer reports disagrees too. Having owned many of them up through 300,000 miles each I can tell you without a doubt they are generally better engineered for longevity than most Ford or GM products I’ve owned. That being said, I love the comfort and luxury of my Expedition and in those two categories it really shines compared to most Japanese imports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze