What’s you’re avg. mpg in your expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cant fathom those mileages!

My 97 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4 with BFG LT All terrain TA's got about 10MPG city, and about 12.5MPG city, the best it ever got was 12.89MPG from Oshkosh Wisconsin to Louisville KY and back. (speed was about 72 on the highway average)

My 03 Expedition EB 5.4 4x4 with General Grabber's gets about 11.5MPG city, and about 15MPG highway. Best ever so far has been 15.7MPG from Columbus Ohio to Traverse City, Mi and back.( Id say speed was around 75/76 average on the highway)

I just got Falken Wildpeak HT LT's on my 2003, and will see how it is over time. I am guessing my next "truck" will be a F250 in a year or two to pull our new TT better... So I wont be able to tell what a newer Expy is. Although maybe, you never know...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what I learned driving taxi in San Francisco, is all cab drivers embellish on how much they made that day, same thing for individuals stating gas mileage. If a stock vehicle that gets 11 mpg city like a 97-02 expedition 4x4 gets, then school me how same vehicle all of a sudden jumps to 13-15 city driving. Maybe it's like the 8 day Chanukah candle, supposed to burn for 1 day, but miraculously burned for 8! Maybe our members with this super mileage are running 65 psi in their tires! This is not my first rodeo, it amazes me how certain individuals have these blessed vehicles, wish I knew where to buy one!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

2611DFB7-27A4-4580-B051-409ED947FEC0.png
I do about half city half highway driving, granted the 3rd gen is a different animal.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jexpedition, judging by the instrument cluster yours is a third edition expy? What year? Was it highway mileage? And is yours 4 wheel drive? It's a given that the newer models like 24 valve 2005 and up expeditions and F150's gas mileage bumped. The ecoboost 3.5's even more. You know they always taught us building motors back in the 70's, that fuel mileage would go up after the engine loosened up! Well mines eeking up on 100k, I'm still waiting. Mine has dead nuts alignment, good overall tune, never run A/C, 45 psi in my street tires. Still get 10 in town, 15 highway. As long as my Suv starts each morning, who cares! Guess I'll get that motorcycle again for most commuting, and fun.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jexpedition, judging by the instrument cluster yours is a third edition expy? What year? Was it highway mileage? And is yours 4 wheel drive? It's a given that the newer models like 24 valve 2005 and up expeditions and F150's gas mileage bumped. The ecoboost 3.5's even more. You know they always taught us building motors back in the 70's, that fuel mileage would go up after the engine loosened up! Well mines eeking up on 100k, I'm still waiting. Mine has dead nuts alignment, good overall tune, never run A/C, 45 psi in my street tires. Still get 10 in town, 15 highway. As long as my Suv starts each morning, who cares! Guess I'll get that motorcycle again for most commuting, and fun.

That’s mixed driving, always bounces from 15-16. Mine is 4WD. On the highway it gets 18 MPG.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your Suv? Remember how po'd Bedrck 47 used to get without that info! I'm guessing 2007!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Second and third gen fuel mileage went up by over 4-5 mpg over 1st gens. Better fuel atomization, 3 valves vs 2, fly by wire throttle, every year the manufacturers get closer to a flat line fuel trim engine. My prediction is 2022 will get 20 city, 29 highway, weight will drop to 4900 pounds, but the retail price will be over $100k! I wonder when Ford is going to follow Cadillac and come out with a hybrid Navigator/Expedition. That would be at least 30 mpg plus.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’ve got to be careful how far they progress pricing, At this point ford has reported sales overall on Expedition are down. In fact they sell about a third of what they did in 2003 today. If you price too high your consumer base falls off and they don’t sell, they need to price where consumers see value. You can get a brand new XLT for $47,000 if you shop around and negotiate, an XL for even cheaper. I’m not huge on the redesign as I’m not a fan of the shape but they are still nice vehicles. I do see value for the money in the lower trims because they can be sub 50k. Where I don’t see the added value is the higher trims with some plastic and add ons and all of a sudden your at 80k, it’s the same truck underneath why pay 33k extra for a platinum.....that’s my take.

Last edited: