What All Does the GEM Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay so we picked up a 2000 Expedition for my mom a couple weeks ago and it has many odd electrical faults. I am wondering if anyone can point me to a thread that might tell me what exactly that GEM controls. Google hasn't pointed me to anything of much help. I am confident that it is the cause of some of our various problems (some door locks do not work, some windows act funny, windshield wipers are psycho on start-up) but today she called my dad complaining the oil light was on and the gauge on L. Obviously not good, so he had her pull over and restart the truck after checking the oil. Oil is full, and gauge came back on. I realize it could be oil sending unit etc. as well as a bad solder on the back of the dash, but any additional info people have regarding the GEM would be quite helpful.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are a few of the inputs/outputs:
Defrost Relay Ground
Park/Headlamps On input
Interval Delay Input
Park Sense
Wiper Hi/Lo Relay
Run/Park Relay Control
Windshield Wiper Mode Select
Front Washer Pump
Door Ajar Indicator
Seat Belt Indicator
Left Front Door Ajar input
Left Rear Door Ajar input
Right Front Door Ajar input
Right Rear Door Ajar input
Lift Gate Door Ajar input
Illuminated Entry Input
Brake Pedal Position Input
Low Range output to PCM
Hall Effect Power
Rear Speed Sensor Input
4x4 Mode Switch
Torque on Demand Relay
Front Speed Sensor
AWD Engaged Output
Neutral Sense Input
ABS Active Input
Rear Washer Pump Control
Low Washer Fluid Lamp
Rear Wiper Hi/Lo/Park Sense
Rear Wiper Up Relay Control
Rear Wiper Down Control
Rear Wiper Switch Control
Washer Fluid Level Switch
Courtesy Lamps
Power Windows
Instrument Cluster
Anti-Lock Brake System
All Wheel Drive
Safety Belts
Ignition key Warning
Restraints Control Module
Rear Window Defrost

and I'm sure there are a few that I've missed.....

OP
OP
FordandPolaris

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh that is awesome, thank you very much for posting that up. That should help out a lot. Her all wheel/A4WD has been acting really weird too, I am glad that could possibly be tied to the GEM as well.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you choose to replace the GEM you may also consider making a small test. Since water has been the main problem with these try placing it in your clothes drier on the shoe rack if it has one. The low heat setting will work best. Most modern electronics have a wax like coating on them for protection, all you need to do is remove the moisture from the inside. After it has "cooked" a few hours give it a shot after it has cooled off.
I've used this procedure in the past with good results, a few times the damage was more than just water and it hasn't worked fully.
If this does work for you, let us know. We have a spray for electronics at work that supposedly repels moisture. Never had to use it though, so don't know how well it works. I will give you the brand name should you want the extra protection.

OP
OP
FordandPolaris

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We dont have a shoe rack in our drier, and I cant imagine it tumbling around will produce usable results haha. However I can probably achieve the same effect by putting it in the oven at low temps. We will probably replace it with a new one anyways since they are relatively cheap (ebay has them for around 90 bucks which isn't bad) but I might try and dry out the old one simply for forum use. I will update this thread when we get around to doing it.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
We dont have a shoe rack in our drier, and I cant imagine it tumbling around will produce usable results haha. However I can probably achieve the same effect by putting it in the oven at low temps. We will probably replace it with a new one anyways since they are relatively cheap (ebay has them for around 90 bucks which isn't bad) but I might try and dry out the old one simply for forum use. I will update this thread when we get around to doing it.

I had considered doing this but used my neighbors pellet stove instead. Set it along with the fuse block close to it for 24 hours. Reinstalled and have not had issue since.

Think the oven idea would work fine if you keep it on its lowest setting and closely monitor it. Actually had an "air adjuster" (electronic device for adjusting mass air signal) for my stang that recommended using the oven method to dry it if it got wet. Guess worse case you have to replace gem?!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
These are a few of the inputs/outputs:
Defrost Relay Ground
Park/Headlamps On input
Interval Delay Input
Park Sense
Wiper Hi/Lo Relay
Run/Park Relay Control
Windshield Wiper Mode Select
Front Washer Pump
Door Ajar Indicator
Seat Belt Indicator
Left Front Door Ajar input
Left Rear Door Ajar input
Right Front Door Ajar input
Right Rear Door Ajar input
Lift Gate Door Ajar input
Illuminated Entry Input
Brake Pedal Position Input
Low Range output to PCM
Hall Effect Power
Rear Speed Sensor Input
4x4 Mode Switch
Torque on Demand Relay
Front Speed Sensor
AWD Engaged Output
Neutral Sense Input
ABS Active Input
Rear Washer Pump Control
Low Washer Fluid Lamp
Rear Wiper Hi/Lo/Park Sense
Rear Wiper Up Relay Control
Rear Wiper Down Control
Rear Wiper Switch Control
Washer Fluid Level Switch
Courtesy Lamps
Power Windows
Instrument Cluster
Anti-Lock Brake System
All Wheel Drive
Safety Belts
Ignition key Warning
Restraints Control Module
Rear Window Defrost

and I'm sure there are a few that I've missed.....

Damn!!

Nice list....lol. :)

To sum it up pretty much everything other than the engine and transmission functions which is controlled by the pcm. The main items of interest are the A4wd and interior systems. There are other modules but they are monitored and/or controlled by the gem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FordandPolaris

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply but this is good stuff. We will probably just go ahead and replace the GEM with a new model. Better to have the peace of mind. Is there anything I should know about installing a different GEM into the truck or is it just like anything else, plug it in and it does what it needs to do automatically?

eastmonsoon

Reaction score
With the GEM you must take it to a dealer to have it re-programmed. I have replaced one and am now going to "bake" it after I thought I had the leak fixed and it "freaked out" again. It also controls the starter motor. Mine will occasionally start itself if the key is in the on position and in park or neutral, even when running. Ouch!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eastmonsoon, I checked back through the wiring diagram for my 99. They do not list any GEM circuit that controls engine starting. The only thing that is close is the "ignition key warning switch". I looked at the diagrams and the connector pin outs for anything starter related.

Your intermittent starting issues are probably caused by something else.

Update:
After looking at another problem there is an input connection to the GEM prior to the Trans Range Selector - which just happens to be a branch circuit of the starter. But doesn't appear to control the starting.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryspaygee