What am I going to need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Factory Nav/Radio Unit for my truck as I’m sick of the boring radio...got a good deal on it. anything special I need to do or is it going to be plug and play? I’ve read conflicting arguments. I’m hearing I may need the computer to be unlocked to it?

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I boughtd a Factory Nav/Radio Unit for my truck as I’m sick of the boring radio...got a good deal on it. anything special I need to do or is it going to be plug and play? I’ve read conflicting arguments. I’m hearing I may need the computer to be unlocked to it?
I sold my oem radio to a guy last year that didnt have the nav from the factory. He was able to plug it in and worked without issue. They only thing he needed to get was a Sirius antenna

Knox GSL

Reaction score
What all does the Navi unit do that the 6disc unit has, obviously navigation. Are updated maps out there?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What all does the Navi unit do that the 6disc unit has, obviously navigation. Are updated maps out there?

Not sure, this is the exact model I bought (found a pic of one on web). I see there are “Latest Map Update” chips sold everywhere for ford but they all say sync on the chip, is this unit updatable with latest Navi software or no? I mainly wanted the nicer looks and the navigation (if it works lol).
B147756E-6061-4B6C-B9FD-30563504345E.jpeg

Knox GSL

Reaction score
Not sure, this is the exact model I bought (found a pic of one on web). I see there are “Latest Map Update” chips sold everywhere for ford but they all say sync on the chip, is this unit updatable with latest Navi software or no? I mainly wanted the nicer looks and the navigation (if it works lol).
View attachment 23210
The biggest reason I don't like the OEM navigation system is no solid system update. I'm really interested if this will work and backup camera.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason I don't like the OEM navigation system is no solid system update. I'm really interested if this will work and backup camera.

Just looked online Ford does offer the 2017 map for this unit on their navigation website... I’m going to shop around they want $149 for the software disks.

E1B0FA23-CF97-49BD-8635-BC8A119F3EA2.png

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looked online Ford does offer the 2017 map for this unit on their navigation website... I’m going to shop around they want $149 for the software disks.

View attachment 23212
Nice radio JExpedition07!

I have the factory NAV on mine and my biggest issue is having to pay for old fashion navigation updates, when I can use Waze and it updates free automatically. I'll use my NAV until it's out of date and then just use Waze after that.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice radio JExpedition07!

I have the factory NAV on mine and my biggest issue is having to pay for old fashion navigation updates, when I can use Waze and it updates free automatically. I'll use my NAV until it's out of date and then just use Waze after that.

BTW is that an app used through your phone?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
J, if the unit came out of the same year Expedition as yours, it should be "sort of" plug and play. You will need a navigation antenna that you can mount under the dash. They are on ebay. If you don't have a woofer in your car and the radio came from a car with the woofer, you won't get any low frequency sound from the speakers and they may sound tinny. This didn't bother me for awhile but then I decided to add the woofer. Sirius reception requires the satellite receiver which would be located separately under the very bottom of the console. On bench seat cars, it was located on a bracket under the radio.

Also, if you don't have steering wheel controls, you can add them, but that will require adding pins and wires to the harness. I have an 08 XLT and I put the navigation in mine.

If the unit came from a different model Ford, it may require reprogramming, which several places offer by mail. You'll have to send the radio to them along with about $100 and some information. Improper programming can cause things like lights not working, etc. You can also have it programmed to operate properly without a woofer if you choose not to add one. Adding a woofer would require you to get two plugs and make a five-wire harness between the speaker, radio and fuse box.

Of course, without a microphone mirror and steering wheel switch the voice controls won't work either. You can get an idea of how the radio's programmed by pressing the 3 & 6 hard buttons together and hold them for several seconds while the radio's on and the car's not moving. That opens the "configuration menu" which will tell you if it's programmed for a woofer.

Little by little I added the steering wheel controls and woofer, so the thing works great.

If the unit came from an 07 or 08 the maps are on a DVD that can be replaced, and is sold by Ford for about $150. The $10 bootleg disks fail to work after a few weeks. A command on the menu makes the front fold down ejecting the navigation disk.

Good luck with your project. I had lots of fun with mine and it works and sounds great.

Last edited:

Knox GSL

Reaction score
Can you download the maps through a bit torrent site and bypass the overpriced disc Ford has