What are the 3 OEM Power Wires Running to the Battery??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrNyceCream

Reaction score
If this has been asked before, please let me know where the thread is. I've tried searching for the past three days.

Here it goes. I recently did a big 3 wire upgrade (Alternator, bat to block ground, block to chassis ground, 0awg) on my 07 Expy. I noticed that all the power wires were in terrible condition, not just the alt to bat wire. I was able to identify 2 of the 3 wires and get those replaced.

1st replaced wire: 0awg from the alternator to battery
2nd replaced wire: 4awg from starter to battery
3rd wire:?? I have no clue but it looks like 6awg

I really want to replace the 3rd wire as it is corroding from the inside. This wire is also extremely short and wired like a cable, not fine strands like normal power wire. I thought it might be the starter wire because of the corrosion mentioned in other threads, however, the starter wire was pretty bad too but that wire is new and ready to roll.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If needed, I can post some pictures. Thank you for your time.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be the lead to the fuse box. Follow it and you will know where it ends. I'm pretty sure Ford didn't use solid core wire anywhere on the vehicle.

OP
OP
MrNyceCream

MrNyceCream

Reaction score
I forgot about the power wire to the fuse box. I replaced that with 4wg. Stamp, do you think it might be something installed by the previous owner? It's almost impossible to trace as it disappears under the battery shelf

OP
OP
MrNyceCream

MrNyceCream

Reaction score
Figured it out. 4 total wires

1. Power to the alternator
2. Power to fuse box above the radiator
3. Power to the starter
4. Power to Battery Junction box

Looks like someone replaced the 4th wire with a solid core wire at one point.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Solid wire is not a good choice for automotive work which is why manufacturers don't use it. Vibration and flexing causes fatigue and failure.

Plati

Reaction score
Got this from a 2003 wiring diagram

power.jpg
ground.jpg

on my 2003XLT
I see 3 wires (cables) coming off the POSITIVE battery post
- alternator (they call it a GENERATOR which it ain't)
- starter (or starter circuit/solenoid/relay/?, I don t actually know whats in that circuit)
- fuse box
and 2 wires (cables) coming off the NEGATIVE battery post
- starter circuit
- firewall

its odd that the total amount of copper conductor connected to POSITIVE and NEGATIVE battery posts are not equal. I would have thought they would be same cross sectional area. Why is this?

I would have thought more connection from battery to common frame ground
but I guess that probably inherent with starter motor?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01