What are these boxes near the mirror?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Kyker

Reaction score
Just bought a 2007 EL Limited, with lots of bells and whistles. Seems like it has some aftermarket mods as well.

I'm hoping someone can tell me about these two boxes near the center rearview mirror.

One box is directly behind the mirror, about half the size of a deck of cards.
The other box is about the size of a small matchbox, with an antenna (?) on the end. It has a small red button that lights an LED when pushed (make up your own jokes.)
Both boxes have electric cabling.

(I realize it may just be 13 year old high tech.)

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here?

Thanks in advance.View media item 7239View media item 7238View media item 7237View media item 7236

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Box behind the mirror is supposed to be there. The one w the antenna is part of an aftermarket remote start/alarm system.

Peek your head up under the dash, see if you see wiring that looks less than factory, you'll likely find the remote start module. Usually a black box about the size of your hand. Will have a couple harnesses coming out of it most likely. There may be more than 1 box, sometimes you'll have a keep wrap as well which is then connected by a harness to the remote start module.

OP
OP
Keith Kyker

Keith Kyker

Reaction score
Box behind the mirror is supposed to be there. The one w the antenna is part of an aftermarket remote start/alarm system.

Peek your head up under the dash, see if you see wiring that looks less than factory, you'll likely find the remote start module. Usually a black box about the size of your hand. Will have a couple harnesses coming out of it most likely. There may be more than 1 box, sometimes you'll have a keep wrap as well which is then connected by a harness to the remote start module.

Thank you. I have learned that the larger box behind the mirror is, in fact, part of the compass system.
And the smaller box is a remote start system. I received two remote start key fobs with the vehicle, but I couldn't get it to work. After experimenting with the number of clicks, I now have an operational remote start system.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the button on the antenna has something to do with Valet Mode.