What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, passed by today for a quote on my broken studs on the exhaust manifold but apparently they're closed during business hours
That would be Kool if you're truck was the next video [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Busy day for me & my expedition, preparing it for sale even though I'm not selling it to say the least,

Yesterday:
had a shop tint the windows 15% front, 35% rear on top of factory 20%, 50% windshield.
Installed a remote start that's controlled by my phone

Today:
Cut rusty rockers and replaced with new sheetmetal, welded then painted to match.

Removed and replaced rusty radiator support, then I beefed up the new support by welding 16 gauge stainless steel to the sides and bottom, then painted it with POR-15

Sanded and partially grinded rusty tow hitch, repainted it with POR-15 also

Washed and degreased the motor, then washed it and degreased it yet again

Recharged the AC

Detailed the shit out of the truck exterior & interior, shampooed interior carpets too

Refilled the air in my spare, it was at 7psi when I was painting the tow hitch

The truck looks 10 years younger now

Next week:
Brian @BSG automotive is doing my exhaust manifold and I'm waiting for my rear wiper motor to arrive in the mail to install that too.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Busy day for me & my expedition, preparing it for sale even though I'm not selling it to say the least,

Yesterday:
had a shop tint the windows 15% front, 35% rear on top of factory 20%, 50% windshield.
Installed a remote start that's controlled by my phone

Today:
Cut rusty rockers and replaced with new sheetmetal, welded then painted to match.

Removed and replaced rusty radiator support, then I beefed up the new support by welding 16 gauge stainless steel to the sides and bottom, then painted it with POR-15

Sanded and partially grinded rusty tow hitch, repainted it with POR-15 also

Washed and degreased the motor, then washed it and degreased it yet again

Recharged the AC

Detailed the shit out of the truck exterior & interior, shampooed interior carpets too

Refilled the air in my spare, it was at 7psi when I was painting the tow hitch

The truck looks 10 years younger now

Next week:
Brian @BSG automotive is doing my exhaust manifold and I'm waiting for my rear wiper motor to arrive in the mail to install that too.

Habbibie do you have any tips regarding the rockers? I have a new set for mine sitting in the garage but have been lazy. My radiator support looks in good shape when I had the front of the truck off for ac compressor.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
@JExpedition07

Took the doors off, used an engine hoist to support the doors they're heavy,
removed all trim pieces that were in the way,
removed the running boards and the holding brackets (painted those brackets with por-15 too)
The rocker panels I had them painted at a body shop a while ago but instructed the body shop to leave a 1/8" of exposed metal along all outside edges, this is so I can weld them later instead of screwing them on.

Used new rockers as tamplate and marked my cut locations, I used a scribe not a sharpie, it makes the saw follow the line easier than me freehand chasing a sharpie, used a mini air grinder to clean off the paint and rough edges, positioned my new rocker panels on and after some careful measurements I tack welded them on, took measurements again and was satisfied so I MIG welded the entire edges together. (Make sure you take off the weather stripping for the doors I managed to put a few holes in mine from weld arcing)

After I finished the welds I used that same air grinder and grinded the welds to a smooth finish so it's not noticeable to the naked eye, cleaned up the area with 70% alcohol then rattle can primed it and rattle can painted the seams, finally I rattle caned a clear on, wet sanded it and polished it, then finally clayed it, then reassemble all parts and doors. Took me a total of 6 hours for both sides (not including the wait time between paint coats) with all 4 doors removed, then I applied a second & third coat of paint and so on for clear too once every hour

You wouldn't see the weld marks unless I told you about it, came out clean and look 10x better if you stare at my truck from the sides.

I recommend dedicating a whole day to it but I was multitasking other projects which kept my mind occupied but I truly think I suffered a heat stroke (95° all day)

The radiator support was so much harder but less worry about the details as no one will ever see it once it's done.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
So my effin mother-in-law backed up so hard into my expedition July 4th that she managed to knock the truck off of all 4 jack stands! I'm still flipping out about it, seeing how much I dont like her to begin with I filed a police report and called her insurance too (i cant stand the woman, she backstabbed me numerous times before)

Her insurance adjuster called me yesterday morning after coming out Thursday to estimate the damage, told me he's mailing me a check for $4680 and its contingent based on $95/hour labor rate, if I take it to a shop that charges higher labor rates they'll reimburse the shop the difference. I wanted to know what damages were there I thought it was only the bumper cover, but I see why this is his job he spotted every damn thing, the bumper cover, the grill, the plastic bumper supports, two front brake rotors and two rear lower control arms, one fog light and a new hood latch and miscellaneous damages caused by the floor Jack's getting crushed under the sub-floor

Anyways I was on the phone Saturday and theres a ford dealer near where Brian @fordtechmakuloco is located that charges $165/hour (most expensive one i can find)

Think you can guess what I'm going to be doing Monday evening?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well this kinda pays you back for that motor you had to do earlier, and then some. Paybacks a *****, well for her!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my effin mother-in-law backed up so hard into my expedition July 4th that she managed to knock the truck off of all 4 jack stands! I'm still flipping out about it, seeing how much I dont like her to begin with I filed a police report and called her insurance too (i cant stand the woman, she backstabbed me numerous times before)

Her insurance adjuster called me yesterday morning after coming out Thursday to estimate the damage, told me he's mailing me a check for $4680 and its contingent based on $95/hour labor rate, if I take it to a shop that charges higher labor rates they'll reimburse the shop the difference. I wanted to know what damages were there I thought it was only the bumper cover, but I see why this is his job he spotted every damn thing, the bumper cover, the grill, the plastic bumper supports, two front brake rotors and two rear lower control arms, one fog light and a new hood latch and miscellaneous damages caused by the floor Jack's getting crushed under the sub-floor

Anyways I was on the phone Saturday and theres a ford dealer near where Brian @fordtechmakuloco is located that charges $165/hour (most expensive one i can find)

Think you can guess what I'm going to be doing Monday evening?

Sorry to here that man, sucks but at least it’s going to work out.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gave the Big Girl a bath today. Hit the black trim with restorer to bring the black back. Looks like (almost) new at 197k!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I use to use that restore but it faded away in less than a week, theres gotta be something else we can do to keep that shine a little longer, anyone know of another longer lasting "confirmed" method?