What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SomeENG

Reaction score
I have been having a "snapping" or "slapping" type noise that seems to come from the rear end when I get to 30MPH and seems to go away by 40MPH.
It isn't constant, it may only happen when driving straight or at a slight turn etc.
Maybe I just can't hear it over the road noise at higher speeds.

I have only noticed it after getting pretty aggressive mud tires on the back
These here
Eldorado Mud Claw Extreme M/T LT235/85R-16
Size: LT235x85R16
Part#: MCX17
Price: $112.96

I did check the driveshaft by gripping it and trying to turn it back and forth to check for looseness and I don't see anything else loose.

Can aggressive tread make a snap, crackle, or popping noise on pavement?

I think I figured it out, I think the treads are super deep and picking up lots of rocks and throwing them into the wheel wells after driving off-road.
I've only ever used all terrain tires so I've never had so many rocks stuck in my tires so far from where I'm offroading, haha.

After about four miles all the rocks that have collected are ejected, and the noise stops.

It really did sound like bad ujoints or something.

Last edited:

Eddie1965

Reaction score
Installed the autostop eliminator; only had my car for just under 2 months and couldn't take it anymore.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My climate control ran like shit when my tstat was opening at 185F. I can't imagine what it will do at 160F. :x I'd also be surprised if the truck ever even reaches operating temp. These engines don't run hot at all (unlike my wife's Honda, which would probably benefit from a stat with a lower opening temp).

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My climate control ran like shit when my tstat was opening at 185F. I can't imagine what it will do at 160F. :x I'd also be surprised if the truck ever even reaches operating temp. These engines don't run hot at all (unlike my wife's Honda, which would probably benefit from a stat with a lower opening temp).

I'll be towing alot starting on the 1st of June. Figure might as well give this a try..