What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I managed to hammer an oversized socket over my swollen nuts twice in order to get them off, but I've spoken to a few guys (tow truck driver, shop mechanic, buddy with an F150) that had to cut the chrome off and do as Trainmaster suggested.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove mine through almost 3" of snow and freezing temps only 24hra after a nearly 70 degree day when I washed it.

I picked up a set of the 20v XR Dewalt tools a couple weeks to replace a nearly 15 year old set of black and decker of all things. Night and day difference. The drill and 7 1/4" saw are impressively strong for a cordless. Built a playhouse for the kids and took care of some odds n ends around the house. I'm slowly going battery on almost everything it seems. The mower and trimmer and lightyears ahead of my old gas models. You'd think a 1hp Husqvarna trimmer would stand its ground to an 80v. Nope.

Has anyone used one of the dewalt XR 1/2" Impacts? I have air but it's nice to have an option plus I wouldn't mind cruising w it during crappy weather so if I ever needed to change a tire while roadside it would be less annoying.

Are these lugs only the later years? I've not seen this issue in person where they swell.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the XR 1/2 impact and it works great. Decent torque. Used it to do my last tire change. On OEM nuts no less.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I’m not a huge fan of after reading up is on this recip and circ saw I can only run 60V Max batteries, they aren’t reverse compatible with the 20V Max line. Good thing I bought two kits so I have 2 of them hanging around. I have a lot of 20V batteries, but even the big ones don’t fit the tool. The hookup will only allow the 60V. Oh well. Just will have to be careful to keep them charged.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of the dewalt XR 1/2" Impacts? I have air but it's nice to have an option plus I wouldn't mind cruising w it during crappy weather so if I ever needed to change a tire while roadside it would be less annoying.

I don't have that specific tool, but the cordless stuff now is plenty powerful enough for most jobs. I have a mid-torque Ridgid rated at 620 ft./lbs. of torque in reverse and it can legitimately and repeatedly do 500. Plenty for changing tires.

Are these lugs only the later years? I've not seen this issue in person where they swell.

Ford used them for quite awhile, but I don't know when they started exactly. It's easy to tell from the backside if it's a 1-piece or 2-piece.

Plati

Reaction score
I managed to hammer an oversized socket over my swollen nuts twice in order to get them off, but I've spoken to a few guys (tow truck driver, shop mechanic, buddy with an F150) that had to cut the chrome off and do as Trainmaster suggested.
the cap is stainless steel not chrome, just sayin (no chrome)

Some (not all) Gorilla replacement lug nuts are chrome plated.
Gorilla also sells stainless steel capped lug nuts (over hardened steel) just like OEM.

In "chrome plating" ... typically there is a 45 micron nickel layer electrodeposited and then a 3 micron layer of chromium over that. In some cases there is a layer of copper electroplated first, before the nickel. That layer can be buffed to a high shine. On chrome plated lugs nuts, after a time you will observe the chromium layer chipping off in spots and then surface layer corrosion begins to form. https://themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2015/7/28/the-shining-chrome-plating-explained

Last edited:

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the easy way out. I waited until 2021 to buy my 2012 and it's already been "fixed". I've had Excursions for the last decade...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the cap is stainless steel not chrome, just sayin (no chrome)

Some (not all) Gorilla replacement lug nuts are chrome plated.
Gorilla also sells stainless steel capped lug nuts (over hardened steel) just like OEM.

In "chrome plating" ... typically there is a 45 micron nickel layer electrodeposited and then a 3 micron layer of chromium over that. In some cases there is a layer of copper electroplated first, before the nickel. That layer can be buffed to a high shine. On chrome plated lugs nuts, after a time you will observe the chromium layer chipping off in spots and then surface layer corrosion begins to form. https://themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2015/7/28/the-shining-chrome-plating-explained

Ok ... Not sure how it relates to the discussion, but ok. :) The takeaway is to avoid 2-piece lugs, regardless of what they're capped with.