What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Notmyidi, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Habbibie

Habbibie Is it Christmas yet? Supporting Member

I got a new job lined up now, same identical field and work except more pay and far better insurance (union job)

Big Brian and lvcjt702 like this.
  2. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Interesting bunch of guys.

I'm a retired railroad trainmaster and a real estate developer. Love mechanical stuff.

Work at what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

3. Phyliss Causer

Phyliss Causer Active Member

I am a project manager in an IT firm

4. Habbibie

I worked a full day today, actually got them a half a million dollar sale (the biggest sale of the year) from a technician of all things too... anyways just turned in my work truck, keys and cellphone and said in the calmest way "I Quit"

Starting work with our main competitor Monday and they're paying me 27% more an hour, guaranteed 40 hours of pay per week at minimum (overtime pay is after 8 hours not like my current company which is after 40) and health insurance (free to me) that covers 100% on everything! Plus it's the same union as my previous company so 7 years of pensions isn't going to waste so to say

Pretty excited to say the least

Trainmaster likes this.
  5. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

Good for you! You probably had to look around and take a risk to get that but it paid off. Talking to a couple last night. The guy said he's now getting good pay raises and his wife just got a 20% raise to stay working. This is 60 year old people. This was not the case most places until recently.

17LimitedExpy likes this.
  6. Habbibie

Just experienced my first ARC flash... thanks to me making such a noob mistake! Panel blew up 6 inches from my face, now I gotta fix my mistake before someone notices lol

7. Eagle 71

Eagle 71 Member

USN, Retired
    Shipdriver, '79-'82
    Naval Flight Officer, '83-'01

powerboatr and Trainmaster like this.
  8. powerboatr

powerboatr Full Access Members

reading these reminds me of my last day at work.
    Mind you I am hands on technical guy, the last job was great as in NO Travel and lots of desk flying..which drove me crazy
    anyway i really liked having to wear real clothes, suit and tie almost everyday.. so my last day, i turned in badges and all my security stuff and swore not to tell for ten years or longer as the"handlers" adjusted "issues"
    anyway i was almost floating on air, had a new place and almost everything moved to the new location. I had to stop at home depot on my way to the rv, to grab a chainsaw, so we would have it as soon as we arrived in texas, ( a tree had fallen blocking my drive)..so here i go into home depot, in a suit and tie, almost giddy with the feeling of freedom, grab a big chain saw, oil and a gas can.
    at check out i was just to happy and smiling...to this day i will never forget the looks from the clerk...I bet she thought i was going to walk out, get gas and go on a killing spree on the base :chewie::dogpile:

9. Habbibie

LoL^^